Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 Polish Commando Ring.

Article about: First time I have ever heard of Polish Commando ring was about 15 years ago while reading a book by Dr Marek Wronski called : "Colors of Polish Commando 1942-47. And I remember telling

Default WW2 Polish Commando Ring.

First time I have ever heard of Polish Commando ring was about 15 years ago while reading a book by Dr Marek Wronski called :
    "Colors of Polish Commando 1942-47. And I remember telling my Brother how much I would like to get one...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Polish Commando Ring.   WW2 Polish Commando Ring.  

WW2 Polish Commando Ring.   WW2 Polish Commando Ring.  

Few weeks ago I got one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Polish Commando Ring.   WW2 Polish Commando Ring.  

More pictures.

Next, I sent emails to other collectors to see if anyone had pictures of one.
    I contacted a Reinactor Polish Commando Group in Swarzedz, Poland and spoke with Przemyslaw K who is in Charge of the Group and He told me that he purchased a Commando ring some 12 years ago on Allegro. Here are pictures of it.

Also from Przemyslaw K. Polish Commando Group, I received pictures of the ring in Sikorski Museum in London.

At some time in 2009 another Ring sold on Allegro. Here are pictures I received from Tony and Rafal.

Quick translation from Dr Wronski : " The designer of the Ring Maciej Zajaczkowski says : While being stationed in San Andrea di Vico Equense (March-April 1944, I thought on how to commemorate the period of First fighting as Commando in Italy. Ring that I have designed was made from thick silver , ring was in form of commando knife, on the shield of the ring etched was : sign Combined Operations, Poland Commando.
    Inside there was engraved : Sangro-Garigliano 1943-1944. All rings were numbered and given to Commando who participated in these battles.
    There were 84 made.
    Last edited by Krakow1; 02-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.

And to let imagination go wild.... Commando rings were given out prior to Monte Cassino Battle. So these were most likely either worn or carried during the Italian Campaign. I read that this was a recognition symbol of the "old " Commando.
    If it only could talk....

Nice one

Quote by Krakow1 View Post
    . . . If it only could talk....
    Ahhh yes, something every collector ponders at one time or another . . .

Congratulations on acquiring an item that definitely falls into the "Holy Grail" category, and thanks for sharing it with us

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast