Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Bataliony "Odry" - Battalion "Odra"

Article about: An interesting and rare photo from 14 March 1943 at Oflag Gross Born with signatures: S. Mossor, H. Sucharski, M. Mroczek(?), Saffron (name?) III AT and the symbol of "Odra" —an un

Default Bataliony "Odry" - Battalion "Odra"

An interesting and rare photo from 14 March 1943 at Oflag Gross Born with signatures: S. Mossor, H. Sucharski, M. Mroczek(?), Saffron (name?) III AT and the symbol of "Odra" —an underground organisation that was operating in the camp under the command of płk. dypl. Witold Dzierżkraj.

Originally formed in 1939 by płk. dypl. Witold Morawski Dzierżykraja- ps. "Wallenrod", Polska Organizacja Podziemna "Odra" or Polska Organizacja Wojskowa "Odra" was an underground military organisation operating in PoW camps and forced labour groups throughout the whole of occupied Pomerania.

In 1944, with the agreement of those in Oflag II D Gross-Born, Battalion "Odra" was created composed of soldiers working outside the camp. This battalion would be activated in the event of a Soviet offensive in the west and would organise sabotage behind enemy lines.

After the discovery of "Odra" by the Germans in September 1944 Witold Dzierżykraj-Moravian was arrested and imprisoned in concentration camp Mauthausen , where he was tortured and then executed on 9 November 1944.

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Bataliony "Odry" - Battalion "Odra"

Any thoughts as to why so many have broken arms or hand/arm wounds in the photograph?

Quote by dastier View Post
    Any thoughts as to why so many have broken arms or hand/arm wounds in the photograph?
    Maybe "work" injuries?

The slogan in the photo "nie wieder nach polen" which translates to something like "never go back (or return) to Poland" is interesting.

update:

Injured Polish officers at Gross Born were treated in the hospital at nearby Stalag II B Hammerstein which was run by a Dr. Edmund Mroczkiewicz. Dr. Mroczkiewicz was also the "Odra" commander at Stalag II B and the surgery hospital in Czarne became the main point of contact for the "Odra" organisation. So there is the intriguing possibility that not all of the injuries of the men in the photo are what they seem—objects such as radio valves were smuggled inside bandages from one camp to the other
    Last edited by StefanM; 12-23-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That's very ingenious of the Poles. I wonder if the Germans ever caught on?

Thank you for the update. Wesolych Swiat!