Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Certification PAL Brigade Dubois soldier

Article about: Interesting new addition—a certificate awarded to partisan in PAL Brigade Dubois. I don't have much information about this unit but I am hoping someone might be able to add to the little I d

Default Re: Certification PAL Brigade Dubois soldier

Name:  ost1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  6.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ost.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	519578
    And just one more thing concerning the definition of "Lesni"
    As I said before this term applied to anyone, AK included who was in the forest opposing the germans, Russians and the communist later.

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    Well, on the back of the book it says that he tried to get it published in 1946, however the censorship did not alow it, it was published first in 1956 after the "October's Thaw". It was written in 1945 from his notes that he had taken.
    So it would make one wonder about Henryk Baczko being able to publish in 1946....
    Long story short on how Komornicki "Nalecz" became a commander of a assault platoon in the 104th Company.
    He was AK, AK trained in secret Cadet school and on the day of Uprising he and his friend did not make it to where their unit was consolidating. All of the AK soldiers were told to just join the first unit they see and to try to get to their unit if it is possible.
    They got stuck in a company that he says was just being formed, this is on the august 3rd 1944 and that was the 104th Company.
    He spoke to some guys and they told him that on the first day there were about 60 of them, armed with 6 pistols and some grenades....
    They were able to attack a german post and get some weapons.
    Nalecz for his weapon was given a grenade without the safety pin with the spoon tied to the grenade...it was a dud, however he said it was better than nothing.
    I think the 1956 "October Thaw" date is an error by the publisher of the present edition and it should really be 1964.

The Baczko book is definitely Warszawa 1946, below is the title page of the 60 page book:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0238g.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	519587

It would appear that the 104th Company was a mix of various formations with the syndicalist being a cadre.
    I think this is true of many of the main battlegroups that were constantly being formed and reformed throughout the Rising.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

A very good point as to the books published in Poland before 1989 that You have made, but one should also apply that that to books published past 1989. Being born and raised in Poland we learned how to read these books, however even in the West people writing books had an agenda. I have seen few professors writing books "to order ".
    This is true, everyone who writes or publishes has an agenda of one kind or another

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    I am not sure it was that early as it was first published in 1964... but maybe one of the earliest published in Poland? First published as: Na barykadach Warszawy; pamiętnik z powstania 1944 r. by Stanisław Komornicki Publisher: Wydawn. Ministerstwa Obrony Narodowej, Warszawa 1964.
    The back cover Tomasz posted of Stanislaw Komornicki’s book states: “On the Warsaw Barricades - one of the earliest accounts of the Warsaw Uprising. Written by a 21 year old AK NCO who endured three hell holes: Stare Miasto (Old Town), Powiśle, Górny Czerniaków. Issued to the printers in 1946 it was not published due to censored content. The book was eventually published in 1956 after the ‘October thaw’.”

I’m not sure if the original manuscript was eventually published in its entirety, because, as correctly stated:

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    . . . Polish history books written and published under the Polish communist regime must be read with the understanding that the material was often self-censored by omission of "awkward facts" by the authors or officially censored before they could be published so the historical information is biased towards the communist regime's viewpoint. . . .
    As such it’s always interesting to read Soviet era accounts of the September Campaign and how they address the Red Army’s crossing of the Polish border on the 17th of that month. I have a particularly wonderful example in my collection. Brings to mind what my father taught us kids – “always tell the truth because the lie will for certain be found out one day”.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

oops - I see there's some cross posting going on in the last few minutes. . .
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I wonder if any memoirs of the Rising were published by the 2PolCorps propaganda and publishing department in Italy as many former AK combatants from the Rising joined 2PolCorps after liberation and would not have been so restricted by censorship. These would have been 1945-46.

Name:	001.jpg 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	519599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	519600Here are a couple of scans..

First one is a list of soldiers left in Nalecz's platoon after coming out of sewers on Nowy Swiat and Warecka street corner.
    Only a few people remained, the column on the left is with weapons and on the right without.

Name:	001.jpg 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	519599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	519600Here are a couple of scans..

First one is a list of soldiers left in Nalecz's platoon after coming out of sewers on Nowy Swiat and Warecka street corner. Only a few people remained, the column on the left is with weapons and on the right without.
    I just noticed that the bottom right photo in the second scan is the Cathedral of St. John...where my late father was baptised and his birth was recorded in the Cathedral record books which miraculously survived the devastation of the city

The first edition (Wyd. 1) of Na barykadach Warszawy. listed on WorldCat as 1964 rather than 1956:
    Author: Stanisław Komornicki
    Publisher: Warszawa, 1964.
    Edition/Format: Book : Polish : Wyd. 1

There is a Polish bibliographic website similar to WorldCat only for Polish publications but I have lost the URL ...

...not important really

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	519839
    I would like to post a dedication for the book "On Warsaw's barricades " by Melchior Wankowicz (Best known for the epic "Monte Cassino"

" I do nor remember a book that would have given me so many emotions as this one, written without flowery language, raw epic book. After reading it one loves even more its strange nation."
    Last edited by Krakow1; 05-31-2013 at 08:04 PM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519945[/ATTACH
    ]I had this VM for a while. It was re-silvered by my brother who is a jeweller. I had posted it before in the pre-1939 subforum.
    When I first gotten it I checked the number and it came back to a sergeant of Legions, awarded to him in 1922.
    While doing some research the other day I saw the name and it hit me: the reason I am posting it here for in Uprising Captain Malinowski commanded a company in "Krybar" and they fought alongside with "Nalecz" Komorowski.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	065.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	519945  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast