Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)

Article about: I wonder if Stefan Oberleitner was duped into believing that such a decoration existed, or is there some truth to all of this. It would be interesting to check the entry in the “Symbolika Po

Default Re: The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)

Here is a series of cards printed in 1986 in Warsaw dedicated to the Polish Uprising badges. Only one it says was actually worn during the Uprising, and it is the "GS" one. (Grupy Szturmowe--"Assault Groups").
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)   The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)  

More..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)   The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)  

The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)  

I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that it was made, however with no proof to back it up it cant really be classed a legitimate..... Maybe it was a member of the AKs elaborate version of trench art making a medal of remembrance out of what he got hold of somewhere, hence why not on AK records, as it would be only a personal creation.....

Just real quick:
    one scenario: you are wearing SS panterka, german helmet carring a MP coming around a corner with that iron cross dangling off your chest and you run full speed into some guys that are not familiar with that award.......
    Would anyone that was there really wear that?
    yes, someone made it, but it was in the 1990's in Warsaw.

Well like i said, someones version of trench art or commemoration , whether made then or made later to look like was from then with a story attached..... It could be no little difference to those cigarette cases you find littering ebay with fake badges welded on to a pre war cheap case passing it of as Soldier made during 39-45.

I have a very close and good relationships with veterans from Miotla, Parasol, Piesc, Baszta, Zywiciel and other Warsaw Uprising units. I have discussed about this "medal story" with doezns of them for last 20 years. Nobody hasn't confirmed that. There is only one report of the "Chrobry II"'s unit member about the existence of this badge and even in Polish text attached by Tony there are words "probably existed". It's possible there were two or three awarded in Chrobry II unit ( how many cases of killing of an SS-officer in fight may have been documented and confirmed in Chrobry II battle section?) but it was nothing official and as someone wrote above some copies were made in 90's on the base of the description of its appearance, shape etc.

For those who are interested in Warsaw Uprising I reccomend Bogdan Bednarczyk's book - "Slady tamtych lat, slady tamtych dni" ( Traces of those years, traces of those days). Bogdan has the biggest collection of Warsaw Uprising souvenirs in whole world, I guess. The book shows the huge number of items connected with Uprising. From badges by armbands, ID cards, papers, newspapers, Stalag and Offlag items to SS uniforms belonging to the insurgents. No fakes, no copies, everything was received by Bogdan from the insurgents, their families or from other reliable sources. There are mainly pictures and short items descriptions.
    I don't have a scanner so I took a few pictures as examples (poor I know but i'ts difficult to hold pages and take the photo)

(SS Uniform showed on this picture belonged to "Kaja od Radosława" (there was a discussion about her above) and she gave it to Bogdan

The second his book is Historia Harcerstwa Odznaka Pisana (History of Polish Scouting written by badges). A lot of pictures and descriptions of the badges and many of them connected with Warsaw Uprising and other scout units of Armia Krajowa in different parts of Poland. Most of Polish scout badges released ever (from 1910 till 2002)

In case of any questions, please feel free to ask. I will try to answer, help, etc.
    By the Way....I have really deep esteem and respect for you - people with Polish roots, children and relatives of Polish WWII soldiers, who still feel "Polishness" in their hearts (your posts sometimes really show it!).
    Chapeau bas gentelmen!
    Last edited by taksometr; 06-06-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for the scans of this new book
    Do you know if Slady tamtych lat, slady tamtych dni available through an online bookstore? There is no pricing on the losgraf website and as far as I can tell it just says printed on request? Would very much like to own a copy
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4