Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)

Article about: I wonder if Stefan Oberleitner was duped into believing that such a decoration existed, or is there some truth to all of this. It would be interesting to check the entry in the “Symbolika Po

Default The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)

Hi all,

Does anyone have published information ie. reference books or articles (excluding wiki which is where I grabbed the photo) regarding the so-called: Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego) they can share?

Cheers!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)  
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)

Mr. Skorpion – somewhere I have an article on this cross, and did start the search process over the weekend. Hold tight while I keep digging. It may take a bit, but rest assured it’ll be posted when found.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thanks Tony very much appreciated!

Hi again – I dug through some more reference literature but unfortunately was unable to track down that article. I swear that I have seen one somewhere and will keep an eye out for it. Please hang in there.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Thanks for looking Tony!

Hi again,

No luck digging out that article, sorry. I did hear from a knowledgeable collector friend who commented that this decoration is a fantasy piece. This has been my understanding as well, although I wanted to first find the article see if it backed up my hunch. However, the article (apparently from a militaria ‘tabloid’ of dubious worth) may in fact have propagated the myth of this decoration’s authenticity as it went so far as suggesting that one was awarded the cross on a Cross of Valour ribbon if a regular German soldier was killed and on a Virtuti Militari ribbon if an SS man was killed. I’ll stumble across the article eventually, and will post more details then.

Regards,
    T.

Pure fantasy piece of the 90's.

Seen on E-Bay all time.....Rubbish !
    Prost ! Steve.

To revisit this thread, I haven’t yet found the reference I have in mind, but have found this entry from Stefan Oberleitner's 1992 book on Polish decorations "Polskie Ordery Odznaczenia i niektóre Wyróżnienia Zaszczytne 1705 - 1990". Copy posted below. A current Allegro auction for a copy of this decoration also cites the book “Symbolika Polski Walczącej" (Symbolism of Fighting Poland) by Lesław J. Welker (pg 42-45) as containing details. I do not have this book.

A quick translation of the Oberleitner excerpt:

Regardless of prior issue of national combat awards (VM, KZ, KMzM), probably within the AK (Home Army) “Chrobry II” unit of Major Zygmunt Brejnak which fought in the City Center and Wola districts, the unofficial award “For Killing in Battle of an SS Officer” was introduced. The badge was made by combatants during breaks in the fighting from captured WW1 and WW2 German Iron Crosses. On the reverse a pre-war Polish 1zl coin (1929 type) was mounted with the Fighting Poland symbol (the ‘AK anchor’) stamped on the eagle’s breast and the date over stamped with “1944”. The cross was suspended from the Cross of Valour ribbon with the right side white band coloured red. In the event of a second award a metal bar was fastened to the ribbon.

Also posted are pics of the 'copy' (as it is advertised) from the current Allegro auction.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)   The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)  

The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)   The Cross of the Warsaw Uprising (Krzyż Powstania Warszawskiego)  

Thanks Tony. “Chrobry II” was a NSZ-AK formation so this is helpful information.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast