Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?

Article about: Hi, the following pictures show a German helmet from my collection, giving to me by my neighbour, who found it behind a false wall, while renovating his house (the house was in Bicester, UK)

Default German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?

Hi, the following pictures show a German helmet from my collection, giving to me by my neighbour, who found it behind a false wall, while renovating his house (the house was in Bicester, UK).
    The decal on the side appears similar to a Polish emblem ?
    Were these helmets every issued to Polish forces either wartime or post war ? anyone any ideas ?
    Thanks Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?   German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?  

?

Default Re: German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?

I know the poles used German helmets post war....my first M42 was a refitted polish used helmet. The liner was similar to the German, but mine had I think "Rostock" stamped on it.....

?

Yours could have been issued to the post war polish air force

?

Wait one...does anyone else think the rolled edge looks a bit thick?

My thought is not Polish but maybe Croatian fascist ie. Ustaša or Croatian Revolutionary Movement.

IMO a Pole wouldn't feel the need to hide the helmet behind a false wall if it was Polish insignia—they were fiercely proud of their contribution to the Allied victory in WWII and rightly so

Many German helmets were decorated with Polish markings by the AK and worn during the Rising 1944 and are proud symbols of the Polish underground's struggle against the Nazis and their Axis collaborators.
    Last edited by StefanM; 01-29-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That rolled edge does look mighty chunky...

Maybe some close-ups of the liner area and split pins plz.

Gary, This helmet on eBay also has same style deep rolled rim and other helmet details : WWII Spain Franco Nationalist Army Brushed Camouflage Helmet

Marek Chodakiewicz in his book Spanish Carlism and Polish Nationalism: The Borderlands of Europe in the 19th and 20th Centuries suggests that; "Perhaps a score of Polish pilots flew for Franco."

So maybe the helmet in question belonged to one of the few Poles who volunteered to fight in Franco's Nationalist Air Force and that would make it a very rare helmet indeed

And from this forum:

"....M-35,reissued by the Spanish army,most of them were send from Germany to Spain during the spanish civil war."

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...579/#post78959

and:

German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ? German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...579/#post78959

This helmet also has similar deep rolled rim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Helmet with Polish Emblem on it ?  
    Last edited by StefanM; 02-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.