Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home Army pictures!

Article about: Sorry Emil, but need to disagree with you. I haven't heard about any specific signs of respect to Warsaw Uprising soldiers from German side. Slaughtering and mass executions of insurgents we

3mk
    ?

Default Home Army pictures!

Please post Home Army pics,items and stories!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Army pictures!   Home Army pictures!  

Home Army pictures!   Home Army pictures!  

Home Army pictures!  
    Attached Images Attached Images Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures! 

Default Re: Home Army pictures!

Hi 3mk,

A few more Polish home army photo's.

Regards, Ned.

P.s. It doesn't look good for the guy in the manhole me thinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures! 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

3mk
    ?

Thanks Ned
    Indeed he tried escaping the Germans through the sewers but probably got lost
    Hopefully he survived

Great post Emil. And many thanks for the additional pictures Ned.

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Indeed he tried escaping the Germans through the sewers but probably got lost
    Hopefully he survived
    The horrific experiences in the subterranean tunnels under besieged Warsaw are but one of the many chapters of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising war that remain largely unknown. I will strive to post some of these gut wrenching accounts in the days and weeks ahead.

I hope to see this section of the forum become a tribute to what is undeniably one of the most tragic moments in Polish history. The Uprising resulted in the deaths of 250,000 Poles, a staggering number, and virtually the complete destruction of the great city of Warsaw, one of the jewels of Europe. But at the same time, the doomed Uprising also stands as a testament to the courage and fighting spirit of the Polish nation.

I urge everyone to read “Secret Army” by General Tadeusz Bor-Komorowski, leader of the Polish Underground, and later on the CO of the Polish Home Army. It is a riveting book that once started you will have trouble putting down.

T.

PS attached below is a picture taken in 1946. The rebuilding of the devastated city is already underway, although much work remains. But the city that was is lost forever. General Dwight Eisenhower, Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe, visited Warsaw in 1945 and was so moved by the scene of utter destruction that he stated, “I have seen many towns destroyed, but nowhere have I been faced with such destruction.”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Army pictures!  

3mk
    ?

Very sad picture Tony, Where can i get this book?I love reading about the Home Army,My Grandfather Great Uncle and Grandmother on my Dads side all fought in the Home Army, While i was in Poland this summer they told me lots of intresting stories of there experiances in the Home Army.Another un-known story is the Cursed Soldiers, soldiers which fought against the communists from 1944 to even as far as 1960, My Great Uncle was apart of them.Heres a site with lots of info about them.
    Doomed Soldiers | Forgotten Heroes of the Polish Underground Movement During And After Second World War (WWII) - Descriptions And Overview of Units, Scope of Activities, Officers, And Soldiers, As Well As Presently Undergoing Investigations Against M

?

Wow !! what a picture ..... total destruction .. incredible !

Imagine if this was the town where you had grown up and lived all your life ....

Gary J

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Great post Emil. And many thanks for the additional pictures Ned.

T.

PS attached below is a picture taken in 1946. The rebuilding of the devastated city is already underway, although much work remains. But the city that was is lost forever. General Dwight Eisenhower, Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe, visited Warsaw in 1945 and was so moved by the scene of utter destruction that he stated, “I have seen many towns destroyed, but nowhere have I been faced with such destruction.”

?

various
    Attached Images Attached Images Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures!  Home Army pictures! 

Quote by 3mk View Post
    Where can i get this book? I love reading about the Home Army,
    Thank you for including that link. Secret Army is available here on ebay (1984 re-issue), but it is also available on Amazon or other web booksellers.

Secret Army, T. Bor Komorowski, Acceptable Book on eBay.ca (item 220490723410 end time 04-Nov-09 17:57:13 EST)

I was fortunate to find a first edition (1951) signed by General Bor-Komorowski to add to my collection of other signed books by Polish generals. This book is on my all-time favorites list and it will leave a definite impression on you.

Cheers,
    Tony

dorava, thank you for posting these. Some of them were evidently taken in the heady early days of the uprising when the Poles briefly had the Germans on their heels, Polish flags flew over Warsaw and there was a feeling of jubilation in the air. You can sense the confidence in these pics. There was no way that anyone would expect the uprising to stretch for two months and deteriorate into a hell on earth with the total destruction of the city. If I am not mistaken, it appears that the deceased man in one of the photographs is the same fellow in the picture immediately above. Is that right?

Regards,
    Tony

more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Home Army pictures!   Home Army pictures!  

Home Army pictures!   Home Army pictures!  

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast