Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Please help with translation about my father

Article about: Hello, My father was a member of the Szare Szeregi: Jan Mydlarz. (Twice, I have sent a message to the website to have the incorrect name of Jerzy changed to Jan.) Anyway, he talked very litt

Default Please help with translation about my father

Hello,
    My father was a member of the Szare Szeregi: Jan Mydlarz. (Twice, I have sent a message to the website to have the incorrect name of Jerzy changed to Jan.)

Anyway, he talked very little of his experiences to my siblings and I, and since he passed away ten years ago I've taken to an occasional search on the internet to see if I can find any references to him. Unfortunately, I do not speak Polish and Google Translate is very confusing. The 1944.pl website has a couple of other gentlemen's memoirs that reference my father and I would so appreciate a clear translation of the paragraphs that mention him. Is there someone that can help me, please?

Here is an excerpt from a memoir by Krzysztof Gluchowski:
    "Patrząc ogólnie na Powstanie to, co człowieka rzeczywiście zaskakuje, to świetność organizacji ewakuacji. Nie mówię o Mokotowie, film „Kanał” Wajdy oddaje prawdę, natomiast ewakuacja Starego Miasta była akcją wspaniale zorganizowaną. Łączność – o tym nie słyszałem nigdy ani nigdzie nie czytałem, natomiast wiem, że było. To jest to, że patrol z Żoliborza (naturalnie dowódca patrolu był starszy) to był patrol harcerski, szczeniaki szesnastoletnie tam były; przeciągnęli kabel telefoniczny z Żoliborza na Śródmieście. Nie był używany, bo Żoliborz już upadł (28 września bodajże, nie pamiętam dokładnie). W każdym razie przeciągnęli kabel, a na to, że oni kilkukrotnie przechodzili przez kanał, to mam dowód, bo mam list, który jest odpowiedzią na mój list, który Jasio Mydlarz, będący jednym z harcerzyków w patrolu, wziął ode mnie list, zaniósł do mojej ciotki i wrócił z jej odpowiedzią na mój list, czyli była komunikacja kanałowa pomiędzy Żoliborzem i Śródmieściem, patrol przeciągnął kabel."

And one from Jerzy Szletynski:
    "Nas szóstka została na Śródmieściu, to był Chodorowski Wiesiek, Rybka, to są prawdziwe nazwiska, Jezierski, Tomiak, Mydlarz i Szletyński. Żyje nas czterech, bo dwóch już nie żyje, a w Polsce jestem sam. Trzej koledzy są jeszcze, tylko jeden mieszka w Kanadzie, jeden w Stanach jeden w Anglii z szóstki co była na Śródmieściu. ."
    I think this man's memoir page actually relates his group's (including my father's?) capture. If only I could better understand it!

A photo of my father's platoon (he is circled):

After liberation, my father moved to England, married my English mother, and they emigrated to the USA where I was born and raised.

My father and his buddies, in a refugee camp just after the war (dad is the blond guy in the lower center):

On a side note, if anyone is interested in Polish girl scouting history, this is my father's mother: Irena Mydlarz

My father's parents Irena and Stefan, circa 1920:

Thank you so much for any help!!
    (And my apologies for overloading this site on only my second post.)
    ~Donna

Here you are:

Excerpt from a memoir by Krzysztof Gluchowski:
    „Looking generally at the Warsaw Uprising, a really surprising is the excellent organization of evacuation. I'm not talking about Mokotów, the Wajda’s film" Sewer " reflects the truth, but the evacuation of the Old Town was a great organized action. Communication - I have never heard or read about this , but I know it was in place. The patrol from the Żoliborz, young scouts’ patrol, sixteen years old (of course there was a senior patrol leader), pulled the phone cord from Zoliborz to downtown (Śródmieście). it was not in use, because Żoliborz has already fell (28 September probably, I do not remember exactly). However, they dragged a phone cable, and I have a proof that they passed through the sewer repeatedly (the proof is the letter which is a response to my letter that Jasio Mydlarz, one of the scouts from the patrol, took from me to my aunt and returned with her response). This is the proof, that there was a communication by sewer between Żoliborz and the City Centre, and patrol stretched the phone cable. "
    Excerpt from Jerzy Szletynski:
    "Six of us were on the city center (Śródmieście) -, it was Chodorowski Wiesiek, Rybka, these are real names, Jezierski, Tomiak, Mydlarz and Szletyński. There live four of us, because the two are already dead, and I am alone here in Poland. Three colleagues are still alive yet, one lives in Canada, one in the US one in England – that’s all left from the six men from Śródmieście (downtown).”

Thank you so much, Tomasz70! I have printed out your translation, it is much more understandable than what Google Translate was giving me.

Dziekuje bardzo!

You are welcome! It was difficult in fact to translate word for word as it was transcription of the oral statement, colloquial speech with all additional inclusions, etc. so I had to simplify some thoughts as they were going out of path...