Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish pow trench art?

Article about: Hi so I acquired this piece of trench art from a guy in eastern Germany near the polish border...and I was hoping someone could tell me what it says on the lighter...I thought maybe that 7VI

Default Polish pow trench art?

Hi so I acquired this piece of trench art from a guy in eastern Germany near the polish border...and I was hoping someone could tell me what it says on the lighter...I thought maybe that 7VII SS POW could be the 77th SS Standarte pow camp? But not sure...thx in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish pow trench art?   Polish pow trench art?  

Polish pow trench art?   Polish pow trench art?  

It says : 7 VII 44, it is a date or 7/7/1944...

"Bog, Honor I Ojczyzna " "God, Honor and Fatherland "

POW. Wilenskie, I think it stands for : "Powiat Wilenskie " and that is not correct Polish per se, however people from Wilno coud have said it. "Powiat Wilenski " stands for " District Wilenski " Also around there is a "Wilno " inscribed.

Here’s my take on this. The text is in Polish. One side appears to have a date and location:

“7 VII 44“ = July 7 1944
    “Pow. Wileńskie“ – perhaps “Powiat Wileńskie“ = Wilno District

The other side has the Polish military motto: “Bóg, Honor i Ojczyzna“ = God, Honour and Fatherland.

Above the small hexagonal shield with the Polish crowned eagle is the name of the ancient Polish city of “Wilno“, now Vilnius, Lithuania. And below the eagle presumably the initials of the owner “JB”

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Mr. Krakow, I see we were cross posting, arriving at similar conclusions
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

I greatly appreciate the info...from what I've researched...on July 7th 1944 the polish's home army operation Ostra Brama took place against german occupied Wilno...interesting piece anywho...

And for those not familiar with the Polish historical currency - on both sides there are two pre-war 1 Polish Zloty coins attached...
    Polish pre-war coins, Polish military buttons (not even mentioning cap eagles!) were highly appreciated during occupation by underground organisations.
    Even in early days after "liberation" (1944/45) pre-war coins were used at lower levels of public administration as stamps on official documentation (due to the Polish eagle and sentence "Republic of Poland"!). I have got a paper issued in 1945 by one of the local officials with stamp made out of the pre-war coin.

Moving thread over to Polish underground resistance forum.