Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Warsaw Uprising 1944 - One hero's story.

Article about: Today is 71st anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising. Recently I found a document for a Cross of AK. These Crosses were awarded post War, this one in 1975 in London. It belonged to S.P. Corporal

Default Warsaw Uprising 1944 - One hero's story.

Today is 71st anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising.
    Recently I found a document for a Cross of AK. These Crosses were awarded post War, this one in 1975 in London.
    It belonged to S.P. Corporal Stefan Bajer from Battalion "Lukasinski" . Corporal Bajer nom de guerre " Nagody " , was in 1st Company "Troki ", won a KW.
    He had older Brother Corporal Jan Bajer, nom de guerre " Bolek" also KW winner, died 08/10 1944 in Old Town shot in the head, burried temporary by the Hospital Jan Bozy, later exhumed and buried in Military Cementary in Powazki.
    Notable people in Battalion "Lukasinski " included : Lt Janusz Zawodny (he wrote a book "Death in the Forest " about Katyn masaccre, very brave soldier, winner of VM, KW.
    Also Krzysztof Kamil Baczynski, who was in 1st Company "Troki" also, most famous Polish Uprising Poet, who died 08/04/ 1944 killed by a sniper.

Proud to say that my aunt was a courier in Mokotow during the Uprising. She did survive and always spoke about those days as the moment of pride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOKTfgjGPc

A quick bio :

Bajer, Stefan, "Nagody" Corporal, born in 1924, came to Battalion " Lukasinski " few days before Uprising brought by his older Brother "Bolek".
    Before he was a soldier in 2nd Machine-gun Company in "Regiment "Baszta ". He fought in Old Town, by the Polish Bank, 08/19/44 heavily wounded in left leg, was not able to evacuate through canals, stayed in Hospital located at Dluga 7. After germans came to Old Town , 09/02/1944 he was being helped by nurse to go to the Castle Square, where the germans and ukrainians were looking for and shooting any suspected Uprising participants . By eyewitness account a german ss soldier shot him in the head.
    After the War his body was not recovered, he has a symbolic grave next to his Brother Jan.

The "Dluga 7 " Uprising hospital and later the Castle Square was a scene of horror, drunk germans, ukrainians, russians and other animals killing, burning and raping.
    There is a great book online " Dluga 7 in Warsaw Uprising " by now deceased Jan Bielecki.
    the second picture above is a part of a wall where after the War people wrote notes looking for Family and Friends.
    The last picture shows a note from someone looking for Stefan Bajer after War.

R.I.P.
    Stefan Bajer
    Jan Bajer.

?

I have a relative who was a German Major during the '44 Uprising. He was wounded twice and won the German Cross in Gold, among a few other awards there. He is named extensively in Richie's work on the topic. Anyway, I would share images of his soldbuch and replacement awards, but I do not want to offend anyone as the thread is a tribute to the Home Army members. I have about 60 pages of German archival information on him and another 2002 pages now in the mail from the Polish archives in Warsaw.

Many lives were lost because the Western Allies did not live up to their end of the agreement with the Free Polish Army and the Soviet's criminal act of stopping their offensive outside of Warsaw while the Uprising was in operation.