Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weekend in Warsaw

Article about: I'm off to Warsaw in June for a couple of days so want to cram as many WW2 museum visits as possible into it The Warsaw Uprising Museum and the Polish Army Museum are a must, is there anythi

Default Weekend in Warsaw

I'm off to Warsaw in June for a couple of days so want to cram as many WW2 museum visits as possible into it

The Warsaw Uprising Museum and the Polish Army Museum are a must, is there anything else I shouldn't miss?

Many thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Helllo, the problem : all the city was destroyed, when i stayed there, I saw the museums, the flea market with all the fakes you can imagine.

it's all !

The castle destroyed at 1000 % is a new castle built in the 50's.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

In red, all destroyed...
    After, I was in Premszyl(?), nothing, Dukla (Museum), Krakau(a must to see),and Prague like every year!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Helllo, the problem : all the city was destroyed, when i stayed there, I saw the museums, the flea market with all the fakes you can imagine.

it's all !

The castle destroyed at 1000 % is a new castle built in the 50's.
    Thanks Lubus Yes I'm aware the city was destroyed but I'm interested in museums like these

Visit to Warsaw

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

This WW2 guided tour of the city looks worthwhile too

Warsaw World War 2 Tour

Nick

I visited this museum in 1991, I remember piles of SS camo uniforms in showcases, weapons and of course the rusted tanks !

Like in CZ, i see one Shermann, times are changing,

Cheers,

Michel

Visiting Warsaw you can see the Museum of the Polish Military Technology as well (branch of the Polish Army Museum) - located in Warsaw at Powsinska 13 Street (entrance free, everyday from 10.00 to 16.00), heavy metal generally. Witamy w Muzeum Polskiej Techniki Wojskowej - page with no English version unfortunately.
    If you are able to travel ca. 30 km. far from Warsaw you may visit the Museum of the Bzura Battle (1939) in Sochaczew - nice place. All items were picked up or dug up from the '39 battlefield. Permanent exhibitions – The Museum Of Sochaczew Land and Battle of Bzura River address - Plac Kościuszki 12, Sochaczew

Hi Nick take a look on this website. It has many interesting places you can visit in or around Warsaw.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/W...&rank=7&page=2

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    This WW2 guided tour of the city looks worthwhile too

Warsaw World War 2 Tour

Nick
    Hello Nick, Thanks to your post I booked this tour for my Warsaw visit last month. Definitely worthwhile, and a bargain for what you get which includes pick up from hotel and a full four-hours of driving around to view the main points of interest, some that are well hidden within the city and would otherwise be a challenge to find. One of these spots is a small surviving piece of the Ghetto wall in behind an apartment complex. That piece of the wall exists thanks to the vigilant efforts of a residence of this apartment block who managed to fight off the attempts over several decades to remove it. The tour price also includes admission to the Pawiak Prison Museum, which admittedly was unknown to me. While the infamous Pawiak site was on my list of spots to visit the museum was a real bonus.

During the drive the tour guide helpfully pointed out other museum locations in the city we could visit on our own time, two of which were on my Must See List (Polish Army Museum, and the Warsaw Uprising Museum being two). It also highlighted the problem of ‘too many museums and too little time’.

The tour is suitable to those with little or no knowledge of WW2 history all the way up to historians. Ideal for my wife who up until the tour really would rather have been at one of the splashy Warsaw shopping malls. Before long she was as fully absorbed in learning about and seeing the surviving evidence that tells the tragic history of this once war ravaged city.

We drove around in a clean upscale late model vehicle with good air conditioning as thankfully at it was a smoking hot day. It proved to be a good idea to opt for a 10 a.m. start to allow morning rush hour traffic to subside. Things start off with a 15 or so minute historical overview to the events leading up to the German and Soviet invasions to start WW2, and then we hit the busy Warsaw streets. The guide was a friendly elderly gentleman who spoke English well (for my wife’s benefit) and who was well prepared with information and archival photographs. Getting a before-and-after perspective really enrichens the tour for those learning the history for the first time, and my wife greatly benefited from this. Overall it was an excellent tour that I would highly recommend. Thanks again to Nick for his recommendation .

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I am pleased you had a good time Tony, I agree too many museums and too little time!

Cheers

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast