Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early Israeli MG34 ammo can

Article about: Thought i would share a recent ebay purchase. This is a locally produced variation of the mg34 ammo can from Israel, for use with the mg34’s they got imported from Czechoslovakia. This can h

?

Default Early Israeli MG34 ammo can

Thought i would share a recent ebay purchase. This is a locally produced variation of the mg34 ammo can from Israel, for use with the mg34’s they got imported from Czechoslovakia.

This can has brown paint covering up a yellow/desert camo underneath. Interestingly this ammo can in hand smells strongly of crayons. Just something I noticed. Markings on the ammo can include. The 7.92 marking to obviously denote the 7.92mm round fired by the MG34. 80.מצ? Not sure what this denotes. Theres another marking inside of a circle. I think this is a israeli army acceptance stamp as i have found israeli helmets with a similar stamp. The bolt in the middle is painted red, perhaps tracer colour?

My lack of knowledge regarding this item is quite noticeable. Well the only other source i have is a old thread from this forum with pretty similar markings.
    MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?

Anyway. One more thing to note is the slope found within the ammo can. Did this improve the movement of the belt? I dont know. There is quite a few differences to a normal German Mg34 ammo can. Such as the latch, length and width. Steel construction reveals some rust but nothing terrible.

Regardless this is a really cool item to have in my collection. I wonder if this was used in the 1948 war. Hopefully this ammo can fits in the post war section. Definitely wouldn’t fit in the third reich section!

Enjoy the photos!

Early Israeli MG34 ammo canEarly Israeli MG34 ammo canEarly Israeli MG34 ammo can
    Early Israeli MG34 ammo canEarly Israeli MG34 ammo canEarly Israeli MG34 ammo can

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Israeli MG34 ammo can
    P
    Many

?

Nice can,another variation I have to find.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I ran those Hebrew letters through a translator, and they came out of the other side as 'From'. So it may be a date code, perhaps 1980? As for the ramp, it is most probably something to do with helping belt movement. Canting the cartridges upwards or downwards would keep them from catching on the edge of the can as they fed out into the gun. That is just speculative, however. I know about as much as you do when it comes to ammunition boxes!

It's a nice item, and definitely a standout piece. There can't be many of these floating about, in comparison to the heap of wartime German boxes available on the collector's market. Until you found this one, I didn't even know these existed!

B.B.

?

Thanks guys!

I wouldn’t think this would be from 1980. Israeli only received 200 MG34s in the 40s. By the 1980s they would of surely been phased out or in deep reserves.

But yea these do seem really scarce. I think I will also keep an eye out for another. Would be great to try find another variation.

Edit. Imperial war museum states 4000 were sent over Wikipedia’s 200. Who knows. Double edit. Wiki also says 5000+ Were actually sent. Weird

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I wouldn’t think this would be from 1980. Israeli only received 200 MG34s in the 40s. By the 1980s they would of surely been phased out or in deep reserves.

But yea these do seem really scarce. I think I will also keep an eye out for another. Would be great to try find another variation.
    It wouldn't surprise me if some were still in use today. German weapons from the WWII era are still turning up all over the world, most recently in the conflict in Syria. As long as they continue to function, they'll continue to be used. I'd imagine the Israelis would have phased them out by now, but you never know.

B.B.

I would have thought that canting the belt would have actually CAUSED feed problems rather than cure them. The cant of the filled belt would be increased as the tin was filled, and there would have been one hell of a twist in the belt as it fed out and into the gun. There is also the chance that the tin was modified to hold some other piece of equipment for the gun, other than ammunition belts.

Forgot to add... the job of the No2 of the gun team is to ensure that the belt feeds out properly from the ammunition tin and into the feed block.

Last edited by reneblacky; 06-29-2019 at 06:38 AM.

Last edited by reneblacky; 06-29-2019 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added text

?

Interesting rene,

Only other MG that comes to mind is the ZB53/besa .
    In fact in the link i used in my original post in this thread shows a guy with a ZB53 belt inside

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast