Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J

Article about: I bought this at a second hand shop in about 1997. And it's in my wardrobe as a regular wear jacket, it's lasted well considering it wasn't new when I got it. But is it military? The white l

Default L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J

I bought this at a second hand shop in about 1997. And it's in my wardrobe as a regular wear jacket, it's lasted well considering it wasn't new when I got it.

L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448JL-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448JL-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448JL-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J

But is it military? The white label inside the pocket says this;

"jacket, Flyer's Man, light zone L-2B
    MIL-J-7448J size; medium
    Alpha Industries Inc,
    Dry clean only"

The L-2B (MIL-J-7448) was the standard issue USAF flight jacket for "light zone" or cool weather and was used from the 1950's right through to the late 1970's. Alpha Industries was the original manufacturer in the 1950's and today still churn out these jackets as a fashion item. This jacket is dated to the 1970's and that's is because the "7448J" indicates it is a "J revision" version made between 1970 and 1977, I believe. But it is a civilian version. There were no civilian versions made before the "J" revision. The other obvious clue is on the label there are no DSA, DLA or stock number codes to indicate a USAF contract. But in other respects it's identical to the USAF contract jacket in fabric, even the Scovill zippers and it does date from the '70's. And it's still a cool jacket.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J
    P
    Many

I like it, here's old shots of my early '79 one I used to wear but...... also Alpha did have trouble with the DoD as they supplied dodgy items of which I can't recall!

Nice one Rene, and also a "J revision" jacket dated 1979. I think by the early 1980's the L-2B was replaced by the CWU-36/P jacket and that was made by Nomax, not Alpha. I have in storage a RNZAF example with "New Zealand" stitched into the shoulders.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Nice one Rene, and also a "J revision" jacket dated 1979. I think by the early 1980's the L-2B was replaced by the CWU-36/P jacket and that was made by Nomax, not Alpha. I have in storage a RNZAF example with "New Zealand" stitched into the shoulders.
    Alpha did make these, the right one is the Alpha light

Yes, that looks like what I've got tucked away. Can't remember the maker now.

As I like my tags, here's the cold weather (right) version tag and a much more comfortable jacket to wear.

And no worries with that winter bonfire in the fire resistant jacket.

Some great looking jackets guys...

I think I have one of these or similar, Its a B-15D Jacket, Flying, Intermediate... I have not looked at it in years but I found one at a thrift store and bought it because of the very unique patch that was sewn to it.

The 3rd Helicopter Company. I seem to recall that this detachment was assigned to the Washington DC district and flew VIPs as well as the President prior to the Marine Corps Helicopter Detachment taking on those responsibilities.. I will have to recheck my information....

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J   L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J  

L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J   L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J  

L-2B Flyers Jacket MIL-J-7448J  

An interesting one Smitty. I'm not sure how reliable the colour of the tabs are, but I was under the impression black tabs with gold lettering were 1950's and 1960's era manufacture.

Found a couple during the week whilst on holidays in NSW, one I think is '69? and one that matches yours -RAAF used and came out of a trunk from one man's RAAF uniform set '71>72 dated -- wish I could have taken the service trunk full (found yesterday in a second hand shop in Yass "hint hint" for anyone local?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast