Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAD Buckle - Unknown Maker?

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, Picked up this aluminium RAD Buckle today. After looking through all the different RAD Buckle threads on the forum, I'm fairly certain its original, particularly after readi

?

Default RAD Buckle - Unknown Maker?

Hello Gentlemen,
    Picked up this aluminium RAD Buckle today. After looking through all the different RAD Buckle threads on the forum, I'm fairly certain its original, particularly after reading through David North's thread from 27/10/09 titled "Private Purchased RAD Buckles" with pictures, my RAD buckle matches the second one shown in the thread - reverse construction almost exactly. I was wondering if David or perhaps other expert buckle collectors, happen to know who the maker might be. Thanks in advance.
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD Buckle - Unknown Maker?   RAD Buckle - Unknown Maker?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Buckle - Unknown Maker?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: RAD Buckle - Unknown Maker?

Looks like a good one to me friend.
    Steve

Alec, very nice and original private purchase buckle as to the maker I have not idea on that one, there are no key indicators to push to any one maker, David may have an idea! Nice buckle though
    Ben

I too cannot help with the maker...but it's a nice private purchase example. Perhaps the "circles" that surround each of the four tabs is an indicator as to who manufactured this piece?
    Good luck! Nice buckle!

Rob

?

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for your posts. Thinking about it, I think the chances of discovering who the maker was, are slim. Having time to reflect - (usually I go for items with makers mark) I would have been better off, buying a cast heavy duty RAD buckle with a MM. However I got seduced by this one (it was cheap - 45 euro) and as been pointed out, made of soft aluminum, easily dented. I'll have to take care.
    Cheers

I think you did well at 45 Euro.....these private purchase buckles are harder to find than the one piece issued buckles.

Cheers!

Rob

?

Hello Rob,
    Thanks for your last post, uplifting to read I have a bargain - usually the response from other collectors is - why the hell did you buy that, - nice to know I do somethings right, even when I don't quite know what I'm doing.
    Thanks again
    Good Luck

Alec

A reasonable question, although difficult to answer.

I do not know who made this buckle.

Occasionally the two piece RAD "private purchase" buckle (the one piece die stamped aluminium RAD belonged to the organisation and not the man), is seen with a makers mark to include those by Overhoff, Assmann and Aurich. Invariably though, non marked and of course, no leather tongue which could support a makers name.

I suppose the clue lies with the exact roundel design and/or the unique "fingerprint" features to the box. The one in question has the very distinct circles surrounding the tab slots. Perhaps a period catalogue may provide the information sought or say a buckle for another organisation and which has a maker stamped leather tongue in place.

The other potential problem is that possibly, the box and the roundel were made by the same and/or separate companies and then sold or distributed by the same and/or separate companies.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Regards,

David

?

David,
    Thanks for your post, as always level and balanced. I'm resigned now to accepting, I probably will not find out, who the maker may be, (its no great setback) but happy to in knowledge its original and a fine piece.
    Cheers