Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on my latest acquisition !

Article about: Hi there, Finally I got my "new" helmet ! I bought it from germany, and it was supposed to be a M40, I thought (very poor photos)! It turned out to be a M35, which for me was a ple

Default Advice on my latest acquisition !

Hi there,

Finally I got my "new" helmet !
    I bought it from germany, and it was supposed to be a M40, I thought (very poor photos)!
    It turned out to be a M35, which for me was a pleasent surprice :-) It is absolutely untouched, and complete. It still has remains of the original paint, and has never been overpainted. Stamps are, ET64 and 3999.
    The chinstrap is broken and the leather inside has shrunk to some degree.
    My question to you is : What is your oppinion/advice about how much cleaning and how much repair there should be done to a piece like this ?
    I am not very keen on taking it apart for cleaning, since it has not been fumbled with before
    And secondly, I payed arround 250 euros, you think that is a fair price or.............?
    Advice on my latest acquisition !Advice on my latest acquisition !Advice on my latest acquisition !
    PS I am not sur if it actually falls into the category og relics, if not I apollogise the mishap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice on my latest acquisition !
    P
    Many

Default Re: Advice on my latest acquisition !

Looks like it has been sitting in a damp barn for the last 70 years .......
    Keep it dry and in a climate controlled room and it should last another 70.

Cheers, Dan ( yes, I would consider it a relic ... and for 250E a nice one! )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

As Dan said keep it dry, the only other thing i'd do is rub a very thin layer of beeswax into the shell. Nice honest helmet!...

My advice is: None. If it is untouched for 70, and you do something to it, it will then be a messed with helmet and value will drop. I think 250 EU is a little high, not an amount I would have paid, but we all collect different items in different conditions. If you are happy with it than that's all that matters.

Hi Dan,
    I think you are right about the barn !
    When looking at the chinstrap where it is broken, it looks like it was hung on a spike. Maybe then the chinstrap broke and the helmet fell to the floor and was discovered :-)
    Thanks for looking at it !
    Marc

Nice find, where in Germany was it found? I would just leave as it is, keep it dry as already said. Did you haggle over the price ?

It comes from Reppichau in Germany.
    Actually, I bought it on ebay, so the price was my own fault ;-)
    I am happy with it. I don´t have the money for mint condition items (and don´t fancy them too much anyway), I think this one is honest and since I didn´t have a M35, a good buy for me ;-)
    I think I will follow the advices and keep it as it is, only wash it a little to remove the worst dirt from the barn, obviusly old and original dirt, but not combat related !! ;-)))