Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?

Article about: Hi, I recently obtained this M35 shell from a seller in northern France - he claimed it had been ground dug in the Normandy area. It is a size 64 but I can't find the makers mark and the lot

Default Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?

Hi, I recently obtained this M35 shell from a seller in northern France - he claimed it had been ground dug in the Normandy area. It is a size 64 but I can't find the makers mark and the lot number is hard to read. While much of the brown appears to be rust there is a clearly discernable dark (green?) base coat and splashes of darker green paint. Apologies for the images - they were taken in shade but it was a very bright day - I may have to take them again on a better day. Comments welcome, thanks Terry

Battle damaged M35 - Normandy? Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Battle damaged M35 - Normandy?

It looks better than ground dug to me unless it was dug up a long time ago!I would say that it has just been poorly stored in a barn or such like.As for the paint work i cannot tell but it sure looks to have had a compression/blast fracture in it's time.At the right price it's a nice shell.

?

Have to agree, ground dug usually are covered with pitting, this appears to have none. But good relic anyway.
    Regards
    Al

Thanks for your comments - it was a good price.
    The sellers pictures, while small, show the colour much better. Terry

just my opinion but i would say ground dug only by the fact i have a soviet helmet with the same cross cracks on the crown i think you will find this part of the helmet will be the most weakest part with very thin corroded metal i dont know what conditions preserve the surface the way this ones preserved just be carefull when handling this area of the shell

Normandy , Ardennes and other famous spots are often quoted as find areas. Without evidence to support it most of the time it's often mentioned to spice up the item.

Nobody can tell if it was found in Normandy, certainly not because since the 60's thousands of collectors go to the Eldorado.
    I know a man who buy German helmets in Germany to sell them in Normandy! Normandy = more money. In France, when a piece have this "history", we don't take it.
    In the north of France, near Beauvais, Amiens...many helmets were lost by German army, but Amiens is not a good name for a seller!

We have aslo the Alsace battlefield. I found this helmet in a German fox hole near Colmar.

?

A very nice relic Heer helmet lebus is it a SD or a DD .

Regards Mark K

This is one SD, this helmet was one a place where German army was very "young", students coming from the Fribourg University( 2 months of training), White Russians etc...
    They were on a hill and tried to kep it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast