Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??

Article about: Hi guys! "Downunder Dan" here ..... ( hang on, that didn't sound right ....) Well if you were wondering why I haven't been around lately, there is a reason..... no, I'm still uprig

Default ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??

Hi guys! "Downunder Dan" here ..... ( hang on, that didn't sound right ....)

Well if you were wondering why I haven't been around lately, there is a reason..... no, I'm still upright, haven't fallen of the perch but I am slowing down - insomuch as retiring. That means I have become a militaria voyeur, rather than a collector, and, from time to time will need to cull some of the trash I've been hoarding.

This little relic shell is one such item and before I put it up for sale I want to describe it accurately. The ET 60 stamp is legible, as is part of the lot number 30 something. BUT, here's my conundrum... the base colour ( under the field grey overpaint ) seems GREY?
    The inside too is very grey - and, thinking it may be from an oxalic acid reaction, I can say I have cleaned many a relic with OA and never seen paint change colour, just fade.

Could it be KM? ... then I thought 'shipboard grey' was an overpaint too?

What think ye all???
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??   ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??  

ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??   ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??  

ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??   ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??  

ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ET60 M35 shrapnel relic ..... in grey??
    P
    Many

Hi Danmark,

I don’t think voyeur is very fair. I would say you are now more “Discerning”.

Congrats on your retirement! More time for being “Discerning” lol. As to the helmet it’s hard to judge without an in hand inspection but I was wondering if it could be a faded apple green DD? but then the lighter grey!? Really not sure but definitely a nice relic that was in the sights of some enemy anger.

Thanks Andy - a lot of these "bullet riddled" helmets I do believe were more likely target practice than battle damage, but this one has more jagged holes like shrapnel. You are right about needing an 'in hand' as the grey looks a (little) green in the photos but then quite "dove grey" in real life.

Has me a bit baffled ....... Dan

Dav
    ?

Where abouts will you be selling all your items, out of curiosity? I like this helmet.

Quote by Dav View Post
    Where abouts will you be selling all your items, out of curiosity? I like this helmet.
    Some here, some on Ebay and some via a friend who has a table at a local gun show. Im not selling everything mind, just the excess. ...