Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fake relics

Article about: Paul, I believe it has been rusted in Estonian soil........... ! Holycats, I think helmets of this type are too far gone for restoration, but some unscrupulous types like to add 'pre-aged' d

Default fake relics

what do you guys think about crooks out there faking non-ss heer helmets. such as relics supposedly excavated? from my observation and what people say on forums.... it appears relics have recently been commanding a higher price than usual.

i know prices usually range between $30-$150 depending on the condition, and it would seem it would be a waste of time for these scumbags to conterfeit, but from what i read on previous threads....... it doesnt seem that to hard replicate rust naturally or artificially. after all, most relics are soooo rusted that all serial numbers are gone, so who are we to say they are real? of course unless we obtain these pieces from someone we trust, there would be no way to tell......

what do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement fake relics
    P
    Many

Default Re: fake relics

Big big difference between old and new rust. Don't think it is very easy to replicate old inactive rust.

good point.....but i still wonder if that aged inactive rust look can still be achieved using natural or unnatural techniques.

seems like all hobbies fall victim to conterfiet..... i have vast knowledge and a large collection of animation cels and i can certainly tell you guys that this particular hobby is infested with scum!!

i guess like anything else, you just gotta know your sh*t or you'll get burned.....

just want to pick all your brains so i can educate myself. anymore input fellas?

?

Fake relics exist all over the collecting landscape. My website, SAVAGE-STATION.com, has dozens of photos of fake Civil War relics and links to sites that try to educate collectors on fake WWII items. In some cases they are easy to see. In others they are so good even the best are unsure. It is a sad but true pitfall in relic collecting, especially WWII German.

?

One of the problems is that if you are reasonably adept at renovating/restoring helmets etc, by imparting certain knowledge on how to do it gives fakers more ammunition to ply their trade, there are ways to make new rust look old but i dont think it would be prudent to mention it here

Regarding the way this query has been worded i fully agree with Dave.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Do you think rust like this could be faked? IS it worth restoring?

?

Doesnt looked faked to me , its up to you if restoration is preferred but its in its found state, plus it looks fairly well preserved as is.

?

Looks like it could have been rusted in Estonian soil !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast