Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German helmets sealed up in a german tunnel in Jersey, Channel Islands.

Article about: I have this photo on file and thought you might like to see it. it was taken I believe in the early 1970's by a keen photographer Mr Maurice Delanoe. It shows just a few on the thousands of

Default German helmets sealed up in a german tunnel in Jersey, Channel Islands.

I have this photo on file and thought you might like to see it. it was taken I believe in the early 1970's by a keen photographer Mr Maurice Delanoe. It shows just a few on the thousands of helmets that ended up in the tunnels straight after the German Occupation. The first thing that they tried to do was burn bury and hide all and anything that they could after the Occupation. Literally tons and tons of kit was taken by lorry down to the tunnels and dumped with the entrance being covered over. Obviously many people tried to get in and some did and gradually the kit inside found its way into many young collectors hands. I know of one chap who came home with a rusty panzerschreck on the bus with him.
    Before you all go book tickets to come to jersey, all this stuff is now gone and whats left is totally rotten. You do find a few bakelite items such as bayonet grips etc but once they dry out they split and crack and finally fall apart. As for the helmets they are all gone. The last lot I got from there turned up at my work in a large van, the chap had gone into the tunnels and brought out 250 helmet shell's which I bought from him. Just to give you an idea of how long ago it was I paid 50 pence each for them after haggling him down from £1 each.
    If only we could go back in time. Have a look at the medic helmet...not too many of them around.
    all the best from jersey.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German helmets sealed up in a german tunnel in Jersey, Channel Islands.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German helmets sealed up in a german tunnel in Jersey, Channel Islands.
    P
    Many

Default Re: German helmets sealed up in a german tunnel in Jersey, Channel Islands.

were these the ones from ho2 cleared in th early 70s?

Default Re: German helmets sealed up in a german tunnel in Jersey, Channel Islands.

Yes, but not all were cleared then, some were still there in the 80's for sure.
    D.

Wow, wonder if there are other tunnels like this in Europe that are untuched.

I was told the tunnel was open in august this year but when i went up there it had been sealed again,it iss one of the places on the island I would really like to see,but everytime I have been to the island it has either been sealed up or I was not in a position to go
    Nigel

As far as I know the gate has been open for the last 12 or so years, and if its locked it does not remain so for long. Great for a one off visit but not like it was..... and it is dangerous.... wellies and a good torch with spare batteries and you must tell someone your going in and if your not out in an agreed time that they inform the authorities to come get you. Not what you might want to do but its safer if you do.
    D.

I have been there a good number of times but never seen the gate open nad the last time I looked it had been panneled over as well,I have a mate who knows the tunnel well and would probably try and get him to come along and if I ever do enter it will be with several torches for sure

Your going to the wrong gate me thinks. Is your mate a Jerseyman... now living in the UK.

Did you keep many of the helmets you bought? I'm assuming you sold many off. Your posts have very much interested me, I've started looking into the history of the occupation. Thanks for sharing these.

Also, out of curiosity, would any of those helmets have been SS? I assume there must have been some stationed there also?

Mat

Hi Mat,
    Over the years I traded and sold these helmets to get better items for my collection, but yes I do still have a few of them left. I am not aware of any SS helmets ever turning up on the Island. Alderney had a concentration camp run by the SS but when they evacuated I believe they went directly to France. I have seen somewhere on the internet someone claiming to have gotten a SS helmet from Jersey, but I have been collecting here on the Island for 40 years and have never seen one turn up or know anyone who has turned one up. my collection of helmets is somewhere around 300 and the SS ones are Normandie finds.
    All the best.
    D.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast