Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this a good m40

Article about: So a buddy of mine saw this helmet at a (somewhat) local antique store. I have two questions: is this authentic and is this a good price, seeing as how it doesn't have the liner. Also, I kno

Default Is this a good m40

So a buddy of mine saw this helmet at a (somewhat) local antique store. I have two questions: is this authentic and is this a good price, seeing as how it doesn't have the liner. Also, I know the pictures aren't really the best. He took them at odd angles and did not do a real good job at it. I didn't see the pictures he sent me until after he had left the store.

If you guys could make out anything in these subpar photos, it would be a big help. If you guys can't however, I will probably have to drive all the way up there (Almost 2 hours away) and take the pictures myself. Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a good m40   Is this a good m40  

Is this a good m40   Is this a good m40  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a good m40
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

From the photos it appears to be a legit relic M40 helmet

Maybe sized 66?

Price seems fair for a relic condition shell as well. But I would try to knock off another $10
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the speedy response, you saved me from having to take a trip all the way out there just for pics!

That white on the top could even be remains of winter cammo????? ( or not ..... but you could be lucky )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Looks legit to me too. I believe the M-40 has the rolled edge. Not a bad price these days. Thanks for asking and sharing.

MAP
    ?

Dan,

I thought the same but could not tell from these photos. That said, I see the same "white" inside the helmet. I personally think it is some type of calcification.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Well I went out and got it today, here it is. I got it for $60 bucks, exactly $10 dollars less than what they have it marked at. Here is a closer look at the white spots, hopefully now you can get a better assumption on whether it is calcification or winter camo.

Also, inside the helmet is stamped 397. Above that is what I believe to be a stamped O. The letters/numbers next to the O are too rusted for me to be able to tell what they are. Hopefully you guys can see it though
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a good m40   Is this a good m40  

MAP
    ?

Looks to me to be a late war Q66 (Quist + the size). The "0" you see is actually a "6" followed by another "6" and preceded by a "Q"

I still don't think it is winter white wash but for me I would need to see it in hand.

Either way, IMHO a good relic for the price.

Ok, I need to get my eyes checked or something. I thought it looked exactly like an O, but after saying it is a 6, it is slightly clearer now.

Yeah, I was also thinking that it wasn't a white camo. Those white spots are actually lower than the Rest of the helmet in person. Like they are part of the cratering effect, but just not as deep. Seeing as how the white paint would be on top of the helmet, that pretty much guarantees it isn't white paint, right?

Thanks again guys for all the help, finally got myself my first piece of German militaria!

One last question, what does the 397 mean. Is it the batch number?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast