Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Helmet authentication

Article about: Hello My name is Tom I am new and I collect Vietnam era stuff and wanting to collect WWII German helmets I came across this helmet at a yard sale and took pictures of it to have it authentic

Default Helmet authentication

Hello My name is Tom I am new and I collect Vietnam era stuff and wanting to collect WWII German helmets I came across this helmet at a yard sale and took pictures of it to have it authenticated Ive researched alittle on a site called Germanhelmets .com, I already bought it couldn't wait, it had a price tag of $80.00 USD thought it was a real bargain, the lady is about my age 40's and said some of the items where from her granddads that he had and displayed at his automotive garage? nobody wanted this cause of the swatstika on it. Ill try to upload some picsHelmet authenticationHelmet authenticationHelmet authenticationHelmet authentication

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet authentication
    P
    Many

Default Re: Helmet authentication

Looks like someone has cleaned up a relic and fitted a new liner and decal and aged the liner to tighten it. Decals with an "aged" look to them can be purchased readily. Reasons? - look at the prepared area around where the decal is - doesn't match the corrosion of the outer shell and the liner would be more worn as well - if there at all.

Having said all that - $80 is not too bad a price to pay for it..... don't feel bad.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Sounds good! Its a keeper then for $80 I have some German items that it will look good with.

?

It's not a keeper in my opinion. It's a fake decal and a fake Latvian liner on a relic shell. Buy a helmet with real decals and a real liner if you want to display something real.

Quote by DougB View Post
    It's not a keeper in my opinion. It's a fake decal and a fake Latvian liner on a relic shell. Buy a helmet with real decals and a real liner if you want to display something real.

Understood. It is a very nice shell in hand/in person and it does have all the correct numerical hallmarks inside the shell, it is a unusually heavy helmet for its size comparing it to my USMC Kevlar I was issued. I do realize the importance of if someone having a hobby researching it well. I do have 2 research books and I read this forum all the time. However I want to keep it and if I do intend on selling it in the future it will be represented with honest intentions you have my word, I do value your opinion DougB Sir Thankyou and I will post pics of anything else I find out in the field. I don't like E-bay

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Looks like someone has cleaned up a relic and fitted a new liner and decal and aged the liner to tighten it. Decals with an "aged" look to them can be purchased readily. Reasons? - look at the prepared area around where the decal is - doesn't match the corrosion of the outer shell and the liner would be more worn as well - if there at all.

Having said all that - $80 is not too bad a price to pay for it..... don't feel bad.
    Dan
    Hello Danmark, I apologize for not responding, Thankyou for your authentication and fast response. I did forget to mention the inside numbers on the back skirt are punched DN184 and on the left inner ear Q64, Quist? 64 Centimeters?. I think its not a bad find for my first helmet. As I told DougB I will post pics of anything else I find out there. I don't like buying online (Ebay) I like seeing things in hand. Talk with you soon friend.

Quote by Major Tom View Post
    Understood. It is a very nice shell in hand/in person and it does have all the correct numerical hallmarks inside the shell, it is a unusually heavy helmet for its size comparing it to my USMC Kevlar I was issued. I do realize the importance of if someone having a hobby researching it well. I do have 2 research books and I read this forum all the time. However I want to keep it and if I do intend on selling it in the future it will be represented with honest intentions you have my word, I do value your opinion DougB Sir Thankyou and I will post pics of anything else I find out in the field. I don't like E-bay
    Like Doug said it is a fake decal , do you collect post war altered militaria ? Is the price more important than originality ? Sorry I do not get it.

Hello Schwerpunkt,
    I do know now its a fake decal, no I don't have any post WWII Items except a 16" M1905 bayonet and its not altered. I have a small collection of Vietnam era stuff too, However I don't think this is a bad WWII helmet, I absolutely want to collect original! I have acknowledged DougB's opinion with all respects, that's why I have joined this forum for information and a general interest with other collectors, the members here seem to me anyway have more expierence with German helmets from this period. I like this helmet it wasn't to much the price as much as the fact the shape and condition looked really good and it was at a yard sale I guess you could call it a impulse buy lol!. I don't know what to do with the decal? since this is a relic with a fake decal, whats recommended if someone wants to keep it? its just going to sit in a book case. All I can do is research more and ask questions and post pics at this point. You all have a wealth of information. My main question was really for this Helmn was, Is it a real WWII German shell?

Hi Tom,welcome to the forum,firstly I would just like to say that if you are going to collect german items of any kind,you will really need to start researching fast,this area is full of fakes and junk! That said it is also one of the most rewarding areas to collect in once you start to build up your knowledge,but we are all still learning and trying to keep up with the fakers!All of the chaps on here will be more than happy to help you out with any prospective buys,try and post any items you are interested in on here before you part with the ££/$$,you will get good honest opinions. As for this helmet,i agree with all that's been said,it is such a shame that a relic lid has been messed around with,but study this one and it's decal and use it as a learning tool. All the best, Leon.

Quote by Major Tom View Post
    Hello Schwerpunkt,
    I do know now its a fake decal, no I don't have any post WWII Items except a 16" M1905 bayonet and its not altered. I have a small collection of Vietnam era stuff too, However I don't think this is a bad WWII helmet, I absolutely want to collect original! I have acknowledged DougB's opinion with all respects, that's why I have joined this forum for information and a general interest with other collectors, the members here seem to me anyway have more expierence with German helmets from this period. I like this helmet it wasn't to much the price as much as the fact the shape and condition looked really good and it was at a yard sale I guess you could call it a impulse buy lol!. I don't know what to do with the decal? since this is a relic with a fake decal, whats recommended if someone wants to keep it? its just going to sit in a book case. All I can do is research more and ask questions and post pics at this point. You all have a wealth of information. My main question was really for this Helmn was, Is it a real WWII German shell?
    Yes the shell is real. My helmets also sit on a bookshelf but I want them to be 100% Original period examples. You need to post more pictures of the liner.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast