Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!

Article about: OK, So I have taken all the newer/re-enactor paint off by wiping it down and have gotten down to this: I can see some places with grey metal, on top of that there is a dark, charcoal grey, a

Default Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!

Hello all,
    I do not have a picture yet,(I know, I know!), but was wondering if one of you experts could ID this helmet by the description.
    I have a WW2 re-enactors M42,(I think), that i picked up in the late 1980's so I don't think it is a reproduction. M42 style but the vent holes are not very prononced. I can find no makers mark or size stamps on the inside rim. The head band steel ring is very much like a WW2 German but w/out any markings I can find. It came w/a chinstrap of brown leather and the buckle was riveted on w/two silver/chomed rivets an dthe buckle finish matches this, buckle is very much like a German WW2 buckle but has two extra studs, fingers, "things" sticking out. And where the chinstrap folds over the headband rings the studs are brass.
    I have been removing the new paint w/acetone and have found what looks like black paint over a pale yellow???
    Any guess?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!
    P
    Many

?

No offense, but it really is pointless to speculate without some detailed pictures.
    Regards,
    John

Pictures....

Quote by relicz View Post
    No offense, but it really is pointless to speculate without some detailed pictures.
    Agree 100% talking about a helmet without pictures is like walking in a totally dark basement trying to describe the color of the walls it is not possible. timothy

Ok, OK you big babies, I'm home now and let me see if I can post some pics............(sorry about the "babies" thing!).Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!Help ID my M42 Helmet Please!
    I also looked the head band over and found it stamped "64 nA" over "57" and the date "1943" w/"-0250-0322" over the date and "ORBNr." under the date.

In the last pic you can see where I was removing the paint w/acetone, here is what I think I see. The metal is pitted lightly, w/a coat of grey,Primer I would guess. On top of that there is a pale yellow layer. It was sanded w/ coarse sand paper then painted an OD Green. Not sure if it is on the yellow or green layer but it looks like gross black strips were painted on. Then Red Oxide/Mustard Yellow/Green for 3 color camo w/sand. Finally a light coat of flat green.
    My guess is this is a Norway Police helmet.

Its been played with multiple times so is only good for further restoration/re-enacting now. I doubt anything of the original condition remains to a point where the shell could be 'returned'.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Its been played with multiple times so is only good for further restoration/re-enacting now. I doubt anything of the original condition remains to a point where the shell could be 'returned'.
    I would say this is very true. I was told this helmet was found in a chicken house being used as a feeder in Norway!
    Is the odd buckle and brown chin strap any clue to this helmets post war uses or just a replacement for early WW2 re-enacting?
    I did not take a picture of the inside of this shell, but is it possible that under many coats of paint, some markings are still there, or is there such a thing as unmarked M42 shells?

Since it was found in Norway the strap could be a Norwegian issue one, I don't believe it's German wartime. The layer of tan paint could in fact be a Norwegian military reissue finish, the Norwegian military were notorious post war re-users of German kit, as was much of Europe for that matter. There should be a marking inside under the paint, I'd take a punt and say it was ET / ckl manufactured.

OK, I been doing some re-searching, and found some common details of "Reworked Norweign Helmets". Seems that is what I have here. The red/brown leather w/plated riveted chinstrap and matching buckle. The buckle has those funny little things that stick out because they had a roller on it, and the brass chinstrap studs. Also seems these helmets had the inside shell painted a light olive green color as compared to the outside.
    Seeing that this helmet is just a project helmet w/no real collector value..... I am thinking on putting it back to a Norweign Army Helmet.
    Anybody know where I can get the correct Norweign decals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast