Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with this M40

Article about: Hello everyone, A few days ago I bought this M40 from Volgograd. I'm almost sure that the decal and the liner are original, but I would like to know what you think about this. regards

?

Default Help with this M40

Hello everyone,
    A few days ago I bought this M40 from Volgograd. I'm almost sure that the decal and the liner are original, but I would like to know what you think about this.

regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with this M40   Help with this M40  

Help with this M40   Help with this M40  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with this M40
    P
    Many

I don't collect "relic" helmets but if I did...this might be one to own. Really can't tell from the pics, but as far as the decal, I don't know how it could be fake the way it has broken down. This one I like.

Any other provenance/info on it ? I guess it was "ground dug"...when ?
    D.

MAP
    ?

Amazing how some of these are preserved. All depends on the soil conditions.

You can never be 100% with relic decals (without photos of it coming out of the ground) and I've seen some really good "fakes" out there but agree with David on this one. To me it looks Legit.

congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

I'm not a relic/ground dug helmet collector, so not really my area of expertise, but based on the condition of the shell, I would not consider that chinstrap original to the helmet. Also, is the buckle portion attached wrong side out? (flipped around) I'd go to my war room and check some of mine but I'm lazy/busy right now. It's just strikes me that it should be turned around. Not a huge deal as I have a couple helmets myself that arrived without chinstraps and I have over time sourced original chinstraps to complete them. It's just in this case I don't think the conditions match.

No offense to our members in that part of the world, but be advised there is an entire cottage industry in Russia/Ukraine/Baltics based on digging up helmets and selling to Western collectors.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Thanks, MAP and Real Steel.
    The helmet was found on the bank of the Don, near Kalach.

Best regards

?

Hi TWS. The state of the chin strap and the liner are very similar. It would be difficult to place it without damaging the liner, because it is very damaged. When I received the helmet there was still dirt between the chin strap and the liner. Tomorrow I will post more photos.

Best regards

Take a few of pics of the 2 rivets that connect the chinstrap ends. Both sides, inside & out. Good close ups will tell if it is been replaced recently or tampered with. Should be quite easy to tell on this one. But I agree, the strap from what I can see looks very dry & fragile to be recently installed
    D.

TWS
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    But I agree, the strap from what I can see looks very dry & fragile to be recently installed
    D.
    I would expect it to be in even worse shape. I've seen some from ground dug or barn find helmets that were nearly completely blackened, shrunken, and so brittle you wouldn't dare try to bend them.
    I'm not trying to condemn the helmet. I'm just thinking aloud my own impressions as I look at the photos. I don't collect ground dug and that's just my expectation from my little bit of exposure to handling some ground dug helmets. Understand condition could vary quite a bit due to soil conditions, etc. This may be one that was in fortunate circumstances.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Hi Real steel.
    Here are the photos. The condition of the liner is not good and I have taken the pictures very carefully.

Best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with this M40   Help with this M40  

Help with this M40   Help with this M40  

All the pics show it's un tampered with anytime recently. The first & last pic...the rivet is almost welded to the leather. Impossible to install a strap in that condition without damage or signs of tampering. It would probably crack. The leather is in almost a petrified state. It would be so difficult, at least finger tips would wear away the grime on the studs from handling. Don't see any of that here.

How long was this helmet in the ground ? That I can't say. A year..month..ten years,75 years ? No clue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast