Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.

Article about: Hi there. I am new to the forum, long time lurker first time poster.I collect on a modest scale. This weekend i managed to aquire two items from a friend who regularly digs here in Belgium a

Default M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.

Hi there. I am new to the forum, long time lurker first time poster.I collect on a modest scale.
    This weekend i managed to aquire two items from a friend who regularly digs here in Belgium and abroad, two ground dug steel helmets. I payed next to nothing for both pieces (€15)
    The first one is a relic M16 dug up near the small village of Ramskapelle near the river Yser where there was some heavy fighting in the Great War.
    Condition is OK for a ground dug piece, with what i think is shrapnell damage on the top. On the outside you can faintly make out some original paint. Traces of the liner are visible and the two attachments for the chinstrap are still there. Near the crack in the helmet there is a distinctive corrosion pattern inside, from what i think could be blood. No makers marks or lot nr or size visible. I am looking forward to your reply. Should i clean this up further with oxalic, or just stabilise it as is?
    Sorry for the poor photo quality. I am using a compact camera. it's the only one i have for the moment.

M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.

I am looking forward to your replies!

Kind regards,
    Maarten

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 from Ramskapelle West Flanders.
    P
    Many

for a ground dug helmet of 100yrs old its in good condition ie solid.

Thanks, i was amazed too, but the really heavy clay in the area tends to preserve items really well. My friend recovered some amazing items from there, including spent shells that look like they were produced yesterday. This was all dug up with permission of the landowner on private farmland in a former German dugout. No human remains were found.

Its a great deal but the M16 is not dug. Its a standard barn/wet place find. The outside was cleaned slightly and the inside wasnt, thats why there is the small pitting outside.
    The M40 on the other hand is.
    Last edited by LeonardoL; 05-18-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo

Well, my friend said they found this M16 when they were excavating a german dugout position near the Yser inundations near Ramskapelle, so it was definatley a wet place ;-) I will ask him where/how exactly. Probably a dugout that wasn't completely caved in or filled with earth or sth. I have been with these guys on diggs so i know they are trustworthy. What do you think, should i give it a treatment with oxalic, or just lightly wax it and leave it be?

If it belonged to me i'd leave it as is!...

MAP
    ?

Leave it be. Keep it dry and it will be fine for many years to come.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Great value for money spent (my opinion), what does that kind of money buy you these days? He's a generous friend!

Regards,

Dan