Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M18 Heer reissue

Article about: Good sunday to you all, I currently have this helmet on the way, chinstrap and liner are obviously post war replacements, but I bought it knowing that, I am rather sure it used to have a Hee

Default M18 Heer reissue

Good sunday to you all,
    I currently have this helmet on the way, chinstrap and liner are obviously post war replacements, but I bought it knowing that, I am rather sure it used to have a Heer decal on the one side that was vigorously scratched off by the looks of it since there is just rust there now, but the helmet, though it is pretty corroded still has a lot of the reissue paint and, depending on size I will put my restored M31 liner in it. I know it is in rough condition, but I thought the price was alright to give it a go, so we'll see when it arrives, these are the only pictures I have unfortuntely. Either way, once it arrives I will make better pictures and see what my exact plans with this one are, sold my Norway reissue M42 so I had space on the shelf.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 Heer reissue   M18 Heer reissue  

M18 Heer reissue   M18 Heer reissue  

Attached Images Attached Images M18 Heer reissue  M18 Heer reissue  M18 Heer reissue  M18 Heer reissue 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Heer reissue
    P
    Many

I know the picture quality is terrible, but what're your thoughts on it?
    Luis

FNG
    ?

looks like a relic shell with a added liner to me

Hard to tell from the photos but I'm leaning towards the shell being more of a relic shell that has been painted again post war as in some areas the paint appears to be covering pitted areas (see highlighted area in photo).

M18 Heer reissue

I was unable to enlarge the photos showing the area where a decal would have sat but that looks more like deep rust/pitting than sanding. Some clear closeup photos would really assist.

Thanks for your replies FNG and Andy, well I bought the helmet for 110€+shipping, now to think of it like this: liner (repro or post war): 30-40€, chinstrap (repro) 15-20€, liner split pins 6-10€ that would leave at the worst 59€ for the shell, not I am not expert on the prices of ground dug items even if it were repainted that would still be an alright price, if though at the more expensive end for what I would consider, and if it turns out to be repainted I am considering restoring it properly and making it a nice reissue M18 with the correct decal, if I can find it, what are common reissue decals? I don't really know, I've heard
    that the Methner&Bürger was used on reissues, any others, obviously I don't know yet if I can get the correct repros, but I will see, but for now I am jsut curious to have it in hand, amybe the paint is real after all, I just think for selling it for 60-70€ someone went to an awful lot of work to make it look like this.
    Luis

P.S. I've found repros of Hubert Jordan, Pocher, ET and Quist Bigfoot Heer decals, would any of them be historically correct for a reissue?

Thanks, I know Frank's page but for whatever reason it did not come to my mind to look there to see which decals would be appropriate, well if I do decide to do a restoration I guess I will have to choose between HJ&K or Pocher, seeing that the HJ&K appears to be more common I will go for that if it comes to that.

Well just received the bathtub, it is actually a size 68 shell and my Q64 M40 fits snug inside .
    I am still torn on what I intend to do with this one.. it appears to have been repaired at some point, looks like a weld seem on the top where they welded shut a crack, though you only notice it when you've realised it is there. I do think the paint is original though there is some dark blue paint dripped on the helmet at some spots, looks like the same paint they used to cover up the weld seam, which they did you quite well, actually. If the paint is indeed original, it is textured feldgrau and the helmet appears to have had a whitewash applied to it at some point as seen in some of the pictures there is some white residue in the corners and around the air vents. Just what exactly should I do with it.. hard to say, restoring it to a reissue M18 SD would sure look nice and I could also add the worn whitewash on top...
    What do you all think? The liner is junk, by the way, basicly fell apart when I got it, garbage fake, split pins look like Luftschutz or WWI ones and the chinstrap is rather old but I think post war, I have since put it on my restored Q64 M42.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 Heer reissue   M18 Heer reissue  

It also looks as though the helmet has been sanded unfortunately, looking at the marks in the paint, they are definitely not brush marks.

So, yeah, what do you think I should do with it and what're your thoughts on the paint now that you have somewhat decent photos to work with?
    I am considering buying a repro liner or liner band and just put it in there but age it before putting it in, making it match the shell.
    Luis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast