Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 DD Relic

Article about: Greetings everyone! This is my first post and first helmet purchase. I have been a long time viewer and finaly a member of the helmet collecting community. I purchased this helmet from Russi

Default M35 DD Relic

Greetings everyone!
    This is my first post and first helmet purchase. I have been a long time viewer and finaly a member of the helmet collecting community. I purchased this helmet from Russia and was told it was dug in / near Stalingrad.
    Please feel free to post any insight you have based on what you can see.
    What I can see:
    Both decals are present with the national tricolor being painted over.
    Has a large white stripe centered on the rear of the helmet. Any idea or pictorial reference would be greatly appreciated!
    Lot number is there but difficult to read, appears to be 3?33
    Maker mark is not readable due to heavy paint.
    Nice dome stamp, best guess is 1936?
    Appears to have two names, both written in pencil. They show up white when photographed but look dark grey to the naked eye.
    Liner is mostly intact but I forgot to write the markings down. Can reexamine if interested.

What should I use to preserve this helmet? I know some will say nothing but I live in an extremely humid environment and would like to display it and others as my collection grows. Wax maybe? Thank you all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 DD Relic   M35 DD Relic  

M35 DD Relic   M35 DD Relic  

Last edited by FurryRhino; 08-08-2018 at 12:09 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD Relic
    P
    Many

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to say I do not see the pictures.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Sorry try now.

MAP
    ?

As Marty notes. We cant see photos which are a must for us to help.

Here is a link to help you upload photos

Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Anything?

MAP
    ?

See it now

On my cell phone so will refrain from any comments on the helmet but I have never seen a stripe like that before.

There are known Leader Bar stripes on the back of a helmet but this is something completely different imho.

Check out this leader bar stripe

M35 ET62 Normandy Camo with Leader Stripe / Named

As far as preservation? It's up to you and you know the environment where you live. Some people use RenWax. Best wait for others as I never touch my helmets.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Welcome to helmet collecting and to the forum!
    I don't use anything on my helmets, merely dust them off from time to time. Just keep them in a good environment. I run a dehumidifier in my war room.

Couple observations. 1. Wild that the acceptance stamp (aka "dome stamp") is in such good condition with regards to the rest of the helmet. I have helmets that are in way better shape but the dome stamp is all but illegible. I would expect a buried helmet to have lost it's stamp but anything is possible. 2. When you buy a relic helmet from Russia, 95% of them "come from Stalingrad". It's marketing. 3. The liner drawstring does not appear original but that's a minor point.

I honestly figured as much with the location. It doesn't bother me I just like the been there done that look of the relics and having a tangible connection to the past.
    As to the stamp, is there a way to test with lighting or another method? I know its a cheap helmet but Im super intrigued by the history.
    What should I look for in the drawstring? If you have a link I'll gladly read up.
    Thank you all for the replies and advice!

MAP
    ?

I wouldn't worry about replacing the drawstring. The stamp appears to be ok as it is embedded within the rust. Liner appears to have been replaced as it has a zinc liner band.

The color of the exterior helmet is odd but this is probably due to the soil conditions or the acid used to clean the helmet (if it was even used). But appears to be a field repaint as the decal is painted around. It is also odd that the paint color under the decal is not your typical early green. Again, may be from the soil, camera or acid.

And as to the stripe? No idea.

The helmet appears to have 3 layers of paint. The base looks like the early green and can be seen where the diggers scrubbed sections of rust on the inside. The second is a textured grey color that has small reflective particles that can be seen in direct sunlight. The third is the outer chalky green color, it appears that it was much darker originally and has a powdery layer that comes of easily revealing a darker hue.
    The eagle is clearly applied over the second grey layer of paint. Is it possible that it was some type of war time refurb with a new decal applied?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 DD Relic   M35 DD Relic  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast