MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 Helmet -please help identify-

Article about: Hello everybody! I guess like many of you, i started to collect helmets with a ground found / dug out helmet. And everyday i learn something new, thanks to this forum and you guys So a few d

?

Default M35 Helmet -please help identify-

Hello everybody!

I guess like many of you, i started to collect helmets with a ground found / dug out helmet. And everyday i learn something new, thanks to this forum and you guys

So a few days ago, i bought this M35 helmet on a facebook group. It's a ground found, but i have no more informations about it. My guess: from a swamp maybe.
    The previous owner put shiny clear coat on it, which i remove step by step and carefully with aceton.

Once the clear coat is removed, i would give it a swim in a light oxalic acid mixture.

Would you guys be so kind and tell me your opinions about the helmet? I haven't found any stamps or markers because the rust has eaten the material..

Hope the pictures are good enough, if you wish i can make more pics.

best regards from germany,
    Tobi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Helmet -please help identify-
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks like an early M35 with single band aluminum liner. I see what may be early apple green paint but oddly I see not decals.

Some helmets and leather are preserved very well. Depends on the soil conditions. Bog finds that have very little oxygen tend to preserve leather very well.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Tobi,

Looks like a nice ground dug M35. The examples that I have seen that have been found in boggy conditions more often than not have darkened leather.

When I look where the Heer decal would be I see not so much a ghosting but a slight change in in deterioration in that area. I have started to notice this a little bit lately and have begun to wonder if the decal area is effected in a different way to the paint and leaves almost like an imprint.

What does the other side look like?

I’ve attached a couple of photos to show the area I mean but perhaps best viewed in original form. Also a picture of my DD M35 for reference.

M35 Helmet -please help identify-M35 Helmet -please help identify-M35 Helmet -please help identify-

The lack of decals is strange - possibly they were removed, but you would likely expect something on the wearers left side. The decals are quite durable.
    Can you see anything on the right side?
    nick

?

Hi all together and thank you for your answers! Helped me a lot
    You guys are great!! And thanks AndyM35 for the reference

It's a shame that the helmet is covered in clear coat, it's annoying to get rid of this stuff..

But i have doubts to put it in oxalic acid - could it harm the leather? Or: what can i do, to cure the leather? Any suggestions..? Really like the helmet, i don't want to destroy it

I made new photos as you can see below (if i have to photograph a special spot, please tell me)

Have a nice sunday, i look forward to your answers
    Tobi

here i found a similar helmet - looks like mine, quite a bit (sorry if i'm wrong)
    Last edited by tobi; 06-09-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Hello Tobi, The additional photos are very interesting - thanks for posting!

I know what you mean about the similarities between your helmet and the wood chip images. Some of it looks like normal degradation of the metal surface while other areas do look like they are impregnated with some type of camo texturing. Personally, I’d leave the lid as is - an old WW2 helmet.

Just my thoughts - I’m in no way an expert so wait to see what others have to say. In my opinion it’s a legitimate relic WW2 M35 but whether or not it actually does have decals is another question which in itself provokes more questions.

?

thanks again Andy that was exact my thought, so i posted the 2 pics from the other helmet. And i would like to leave it as it is, after removal of the coating (it really bothers me).

let's see what the other experts write

MAP
    ?

I think a lot of the texture is rust bubbles but there certainly could have been a rough textured coat of camo on it. I would think more sand than woodchip.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    I think a lot of the texture is rust bubbles but there certainly could have been a rough textured coat of camo on it. I would think more sand than woodchip.
    Thanks for your answer, sand camo would be nice

Any tips for leather treatment? I can move the leather, but it´s really dry. Someone on the forum used linseed oil.. should i give it a try?

thank you for your time and patience

Tobi
    Last edited by tobi; 06-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Hi Tobi,

While I would never ever recommend treating a good original condition helmet I’m a little bit more flexible with my relics as they are generally deteriorating at a much faster rate. Now that your helmet is in a completely different environment than say a bog, it will probably deteriorate faster too. Having said that you will get a lot of different opinions in relation to your question so don’t forget to use the search button on the top right of the forum webpage and do a search under relic preservation.

I’ve used Renaissance Wax as it will form a protective coating and also brings back a little colour. It was developed for use in the British Museum and even a little tin will go a long way. Here is a link to the product: Renaissance Wax - Wikipedia
    Last edited by AndyM35; 06-10-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast