Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M36 SD Quist with an almost perfect head shot

Article about: Hi Harry The Mole, I agree your damage does appear to be period damage and I suspect from something other than a bullet as there appears to be damage just below the entry hole. Just trying t

Default M36 SD Quist with an almost perfect head shot

Here's a helmet I picked up on the local market in Earlestown a few months ago. it looks like the liner has never been removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5369.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	325.6 KB 
ID:	612512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5367.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	320.0 KB 
ID:	612513Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5371.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	612514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5370.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	612515
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I think you meant to say m35 in your title, but nice relic lid! It's almost all there

Nice one Harry ( an M35 though) and looks like the blood from the bullet strike rotted out the leather.You can see some of the original tan colour at the edges.

Cheers, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

lets just hope it inst haunted by the man who was wearing this helmet.

Great find Steve, i'll have to get my ar*e to Earlestown!..
    It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

I'm Spartacus, not really i'm Paul!...

Oh my god - what an arsehole! I do indeed mean an M35. In defence, I had my 2 year-old grandson screaming down my lug. he wanted to see the man who nearly gets hit by the Spitfire. if you've not seen that clip - google it!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

A super relic with a tale to tell Steve , nice find! Leon.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." Ernest Hemingway

Nice one, Steve!

Luke

Hate to spoil things but during my time in the army back in the 70's, sometimes during range work we provided head shots on war time lids for a particular collector in our unit. On one occasion during sniper training I refused to put a 7.62 round through an original WW2 German para helmet. I wonder how many of these old lids are now being passed on as originally damaged?

Don't worry, you're not spoiling anything at all. Close examination of the aluminium liner band shows that it has damage commensurate with entry from a missile. I do not claim the hole is from a bullet. Looking at the hole it would appear that the missile entered on an upward trajectory, and all damage appears to be period damage. The helmet was recently excavated, and so I think it is safe to assume that the damage is period damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast