Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 apple green helmet

Article about: Hello, Bought this nice helmet today let me know what you thinks. Cheers

Default M35 feldgrau eastern front helmet

Hello,

Bought this nice helmet today let me know what you thinks.

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 apple green helmet   M40 apple green helmet  

M40 apple green helmet   M40 apple green helmet  

Last edited by Bumbleshoes; 03-05-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Gained more info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 apple green helmet
    P
    Many

Nice where did you find it?

MAP
    ?

What is apple green?

Is it a relic or just a barn like find?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Rock steady militaria ..search it up on fb or website great guy.. high standards thanks for the reaction cheers

Apple green is the colour standard early issue as far as I know( correct me if im wrong)i think barn find.. dont think its dug up.. lot of original paint left. Great steady shell only surface rust.. will drop some details later on

MAP
    ?

Quote by Bumbleshoes View Post
    Apple green is the colour standard early issue as far as I know( correct me if im wrong)i think barn find.. dont think its dug up.. lot of original paint left. Great steady shell only surface rust.. will drop some details later on
    Thanks. Paint color terms can be a bit confusing. While Feldgrau is the technical term, collectors typically use the term "Apple Green" (and even Pea Green) for early lighter colored M35 helmets. The shades also differed by manufacturer.

Post the M35, M40 helmets (while also technically being painted "Feldgrau") had a much darker and rougher texture paint that was more suitable to combat.

These photos appear to be taken behind glass so detail are a bit hard to tell, but this color appears to be the typical dark rough texture Feldgrau and not "Apple Green". If it was apple green it would be a red flag.

It's possible that this helmet also had a field or depot repaint with some sand mixed in or maybe it is just some rust bubbles underneath. But I really can't tell from the photos.

The helmet is very rough but is fine none the less. And agree, it looks more like a barn find.

Regards,

M

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The pics are very poor, but I think this is possibly a M35, the air vent looks like a grommet and it has the M35 liner assembly.

Default Update! Stalingrad battle

Thanks for the comments so far. Here are some better detailed pictures. Appears to be found at a 10,5cm Howitzer position in the town Marinovka.

What do you guys think in terms of condition and treatment? Clearly an original piece.. never been messed with after the war.

We share an amazing hobby
    Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 apple green helmet   M40 apple green helmet  

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    The pics are very poor, but I think this is possibly a M35, the air vent looks like a grommet and it has the M35 liner assembly.

I agree with this statement and i will add that this is an M35 100%, field reissued, with the shell being an EF os SE (these 2 have the smallest rivets).

MAP
    ?

Yes. From these photos it is looking more like an M35 with a reinforced aluminum liner band.That said, there are examples of M40 helmets using this type of band as well as they used left over stocks. I have one.

It is also looking more ground dug to me than a barn find...but that is neither hear nor there.

I would leave it as is in a nice stable environment. It will outlast you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast