Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?

Article about: I bought this ground dug M40 helmet a while back from a seller in Lithuania. It's a size 64 but the stampings are illegible. What intrigued me ( here in Oz & so far away from Europe ) wa

Default M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?

I bought this ground dug M40 helmet a while back from a seller in Lithuania. It's a size 64 but the stampings are illegible.

What intrigued me ( here in Oz & so far away from Europe ) was the concussion damage and the amount of remaining gray / green paint - thanks to the soil conditions over there. Anyway, the seller said there were NO decals on it but after a light clean & scrub, I was pleasantly surprised to see a faint shield appear. When the helmet is dampened with water, it becomes a little clearer ( which is what you see in the photos )

OK, so I know it's not SS - their runes were on the opposite side ( and there is no decal that side ) and the shield shape seems to be a bit more pointed than a German one - who's might it have been? Any ideas guys?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?   M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?  

M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?   M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?
    P
    Many

alex11
    ?

Default Re: M40 dug helmet decal - what is it?

Heer?

Alex, yeah I guess it has to be but it seems to be a bit more pointed at the bottom. Wish there was a bit more left of it but as they say " that's all folks, there aint no more"

?

I think you did a great job in cleaning it. I agree, I think it was a Heer decal.
    You may revive it a bit with some oxalic acid with water.

Thanks Zeller, I've read of Dimas' & others success stories with Oxalic, I just have to find where I can get some here. I'll post some more photos on the restoration page if I succeed!

Hi there,

Here in Australia the easiest place to pick up Oxalic Acid is at your local Bunnings store. It is made by Diggers, just go with a cup full in a large bucket of warm water for about 15 minutes and repeat as required. Works great

Regards,

Spence

Thanks Spence,
    I'll choof off down there & grab some!