Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

M40 ET64 single decal battle damaged relic

Article about: Hey guys - what are your thoughts on this one? Decal ok (looks ok to me)? Cheers, Fabe

Hi!
    Yes, the first one with battle damage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 ET64 single decal battle damaged relic
    P
    Many

I do not believe the decal mentioned has been applied over rust.
    Observe the small burst bubbles in the upper right wing... these are less than 1mm in diameter in reality. Its easy to imagine they are huge at a zoomed image size. If the decal were applied over such craters then to chip portions away to reveal the craters in exactly the right position would be an almost impossible task.
    I do agree it looks like a Q decal ( flat head and all ) so it must be a Quist shell! The vent is corroded masking its size.......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Forgive me for asking..I dont know anything about decals and helmets..but steel and it dexterity within collecting edged weapons I do know.
    In the photo below shows 2 orange arrows pointing to what it looks like steel may have been torn..which it has in this case..as thats what its supposed to look like.

But...the tear looks fresh and uncorroded.

Question: Is the photos giving that appearance or is the tear already showing its patina?

Try not to beat me up ..but these are my observations

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

and what is this?.....it appears to be a weld.

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Ok to tear me a new one

?

I can't comment too much on this, these are the seller's pics - I don't have it in my hand - but I see patina on the tear - if it was fresh (why would anyone do this, there is already a hole and a big crack on the top as well), the steel would be bright silver looking...
    As you can see, this one is not a dug up relic, more like a "barn find", with only very little rusting - the arrow with possible welding (again, why?) is probably just some corrosion.

Hi Larry,
    With these heat treated shells ( different steel than the M35s but heat treated nonetheless ) they can crack at the time or later on in the ground due to temperature changes. Not all cracks appear at the time - I could well believe this had bullet dents in both places that cracked years later in the frozen / thawing soil. I have one such M40 with a circular piece completely loose and recovered by the digger - that could never have broken at the time.
    Dan

And here is the helmet I am referring to ......I just took a quick few photos in my study.

You can see the circular crack that occurred much later than the initial damage ..... and that is the original decal fellas, no doubt! Look at the rust bubbles that have burst from under it leaving the bare craters ..... I defy anyone to try to replicate / fake that.

Yes if Fabe's helmet is NOT a Quist then something is very odd with a bigfoot on another makers but I am standing by my feelings (from the photos and my offering here ) that the decal has been on there as long as it has been in the ground.

Respectfully, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 ET64 single decal battle damaged relic   M40 ET64 single decal battle damaged relic  

Thanks Dan...just my observations ..which I would encourage the same in Edged Weapons.

If someone sees a detail they are not sure of..its better to ask than to have someone else get burned. Thankyou for the insight

Regards Larry

No worries Larry!
    Another interesting point with mine is the shape of the decal's left side - it is a sweeping curve, not a vertical then a break.
    I believe this is a field repaint with a crude masking job, making the decal in what is a straight on shot look odd.
    Sorry Fabe, don't mean to hijack your thread...
    Dan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast