Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 ground dug

Article about: nice relic.

Default M40 ground dug

I found this m40 by chance tonight. I have never dealt with dug relics before so some opinions would be greatly appreciated. Supposivley the helmet was sent from a friend of the sellers that found it along with a few others at a construction site in Berlin. The shell definatley seems real and the little remaining paint seems ok, (pardon the lighting the hotel I am in makes it look blue). I am not sure if there is a decal or just corrosion on the side so any help identifying it would be appreciated.

M40 ground dugM40 ground dugM40 ground dug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 ground dug   M40 ground dug  

M40 ground dug  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 ground dug
    P
    Many

?

Certainly could be a partial SS rune poking through there...it seems to be sitting on an area of paint.....curious

I wanted to think that but I did not want to be the guy that cries wolf on everything hoping it is SS. I bought it since it is likely that it was issued and holds some historic values regardless of the branch of service or its where it was found. Of course more opinions are welcomed and I would not be mad if it proved to be remnants of an SS decal

Maybe some better photos of the decal area after playing with contrast and/or colour/hue/saturation might give a hint to the decal. If it is a decal remnant, I can't think other than SS what it might be. If Polizei then there should be a corresponding decal on the left side of the shell which there isn't and in any case on the right side I would expect a fleck or 2 of red from the swastika decal. Let's hope you've gotten lucky with this!

Not wanting to put a downer on it but i'd expect to see more of the decal, there are some fairly big areas of unrusted paint surface there!...

Agree, but what are those white bits? They must be something?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Agree, but what are those white bits? They must be something?
    If it's ground dug maybe some sort of mineral deposit?..

I think a macro shot of the area might shed some light on this question.

It is a Quist shell, and i agree with Gunny about the mineral deposit. Nice one anyway!

There are some mineral deposits all over the helmet but a close up inspection there may be some decal remains, possibly it was painted over?
    * more observation could just be minerals or possibly decal was painted over?

Update may just be no decal, I do not claim to have authority in identifying relics in this condition
    There are red tones they may be rust, white might be calcium deposits, here is the best picture I could get atm.

M40 ground dug

Lighting is still bad...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast