Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Heer helmet recovered from clay

Article about: This helmet is a VERY interesting example. Its a M40 in fantastic condition with full liner and chinstrap. The reason im posting this under "relic helmets" is simple. You may not b

Default M40 Heer helmet recovered from clay

This helmet is a VERY interesting example. Its a M40 in fantastic condition with full liner and chinstrap. The reason im posting this under "relic helmets" is simple. You may not believe it, but this helmet was recovered from the ground in Russia. The seller told me it was found in the clay, and the clay preserved it for all of these years. Ive seen videos before where Russian relic hunters find relics in amazing condition like this, but never thought I would own one. Its like a helmet time capsule! the liner/chinstrap are still soft, and the paint is in great shape too. Only defect on this helmet is the small bullet/shrapnel hole. The damage really makes you think. I can read NS64 and a batch number of DN87. Please let me know what you think.

Best regards- Jarret

M40 Heer helmet recovered from clayM40 Heer helmet recovered from clayM40 Heer helmet recovered from clayM40 Heer helmet recovered from clayM40 Heer helmet recovered from clayM40 Heer helmet recovered from clayM40 Heer helmet recovered from clay

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Heer helmet recovered from clay
    P
    Many

Amazingly the decal seems to have suffered the worst of it. I don't know how the liner & strap could endure being buried for decades & still remain in this condition. I don't know anything about Russian soil. Clay I would think, has some moisture content ? That should rot the leather.

Did you clean it or the seller ?

But nice helmet regardless.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Amazingly the decal seems to have suffered the worst of it. I don't know how the liner & strap could endure being buried for decades & still remain in this condition. I don't know anything about Russian soil. Clay I would think, has some moisture content ? That should rot the leather.

Did you clean it or the seller ?

But nice helmet regardless.
    Its crazy to imagine the leather being preserved in the ground this long, but that's just what I was told. So its not confirmed. I can say ive seen other Russian relic hunters on YouTube pull helmets out of the muddy clay that look just like this. pretty much in mint condition. The seller cleaned this helmet before shipping it out. Just took off the clay and etc. Didn't preform a harsh cleaning or anything like that.

Best regards- Jarret

Just my .02. Liner is not saturated with blood by the shrapnel hole. It is my belief it was replaced.

Quote by buellmeister View Post
    Just my .02. Liner is not saturated with blood by the shrapnel hole. It is my belief it was replaced.
    I was wondering the same thing but the liner pins are solid as a rock with no play what so ever. I don't believe it has been replaced.
    But I do thank you for your opinion!
    Best regards- Jarret

If Viking shoes can survive for over a thousand years in the correct conditions. Don’t see why 70 odd year old leather cant. From the little i know, damp conditions with little or no oxygen is best for this kind of preservation. But hey what do I know!
    I would never pretend to be an expert, so just an observation.
    It would be hard to know if it actually was on someone’s head when that hole was made.
    Hope it turns out well for you and thanks for showing.

Rod

I like this helmet, but I am not sure the leather is original to the helmet, I only query this because I would suggest it would be worthwhile examining the impact damage and then wondering how the liner has completely escaped damage? It might be that the angle of impact missed the liner inside, but it's not easy to tell from the photos.
    But for all that I still like it.

Great helmet! Soldiers were known to take pot shots at anything if they had a plentiful supply of ammo. Always the chance someone shot down into the helmet while it was sitting empty on the ground.

Jay
    Last edited by sitges1990; 12-21-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Thread printed twice

Quote by buellmeister View Post
    The top of the hole is level with the liner band, there is possibly just the slightest sign of the band being caught by the projectile which caused the damage. Why is it always assumed that a helmet was being worn at the moment of impact? And why is it always assumed that there should be blood on the liner because there is a hole in the shell? There are a variety of reasons why no blood would be found on the liner.

I couldn't agree more, this helmet could have been anywhere when it was shot. The liner shows signs being grazed slightly from the impact area. When examined under a flash light, I can see slight stains that resemble blood stains. But its pretty hard to see from the photos I posted. Really no telling the history behind the helmet. I have no doubt the liner is 100% original to this lid though.

Best regards- Jarret

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast