Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Re-painted

Article about: Gentlemen, I have recently seen an M40 (ET 64) which a dealer bought as part of a job lot. The helmet was badly re-painted in horrible shiny green by the vendor (sorry, no pictures) Because

Default M40 Re-painted

Gentlemen, I have recently seen an M40 (ET 64) which a dealer bought as part of a job lot. The helmet was badly re-painted in horrible shiny green by the vendor (sorry, no pictures) Because of this, he is willing to let me have it for £125 as he can't be bothered to do any work on it.

Two questions: 1. is it worth purchasing it? it is supposedly genuine, with genuine liner, although it was removed and re-fitted to paint it.

2. is it possible, or even desireable to try and strip it back to basics?

This would be my first helmet purchase and I was thinking of taking a punt on it.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Re-painted
    P
    Many

Without pictures it is hard to say. But with that being said from your description I would pass and save your money for a honest helmet.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

It depends entirely on upon your financial situation. If you can afford to spend around £400 or so on a fairly decent helmet - then do so and pass on this one. But if this is more suited to your pocket, then buy it. If it has been painted in a horrible shiny green, there would be no harm in stripping it back to see what lies beneath. The liner alone - if genuine, is going to be worth a bit if in good nick. But ultimately the choice is yours.

My opinion is that the value is dependent on the liner and if the chinstrap is present. A good liner and chinstrap would make it well worth it, a good liner but no chinstrap would be debatable. I would suggest that a 'supposedly genuine liner' is not worth the risk- it could easily be a modern copy (some are convincing) and therefore junk. Also bear in mind a repainted shell is worth very little, and most collectors find they are dissatisfied with this sort of item in time (if not straight away) and I really do speak from experience and wasted money.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

On reflection, I think I'll stick to medal collecting and eventually get myself a decent helmet and save myself the hassle of messing about with something which might be dodgy