Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast

Article about: Hey guys, It has been on my bucket list for sometime now to own an original M40 winter camo. My budget cant handle a non-relic right now, so I am looking for a sold relic helmet. Found this

Default M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast

Hey guys,

It has been on my bucket list for sometime now to own an original M40 winter camo. My budget cant handle a non-relic right now, so I am looking for a sold relic helmet. Found this one and I very much like its look.

I am wanting your opinions on it. Would it be alright to put a REALLY salty liner in it? I would like to get this helmet and refurbish it with original parts, so that I may have a good educational piece.

The white paint seems a little suspect to me just because it is so vivid as compared to the rest of it.

Looking forward to some comments on this one,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast   M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast  

M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast   M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast  

M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast   M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast
    P
    Many

Where did you find this one? eBay? That area of Europe is exploding with fake winter camo helmets. Personally, I wouldn't by anything from that area.

German helmet M35-stahlhelmwk2.com

The owner of the business promised me that this is how he found it

Promised? Well than, it must be so. I'm skeptical when it comes to anything from that region of Europe. That region also pumps out all the fakes on ebay and the fake liners. It's a leap of faith on how much you believe in his "promise."

Are you or anyone familiar with this seller?

I don't see it supposedly coming from Pskov, Russia as being a bad thing (except for the fact that it might be bordering some "bad" places) - But I wouldn't be getting this one either way... It's got zero aesthetic appeal, as I see it, and has that really scrubbed to death look... very "touched" I have personally gotten a good relic from this place in the past and they were good enough to deal with... no complaints there but it seems their inventory is a mixed bag, at least to a certain degree--- Mostly original (relics, at least) but some bad ones mixed in, so it's obvious they don't really care that much or their "quality control" is lacking.
    It's got an iffy look either way... over cleaned, makes pretty much all the patina and other telltale signs disappear. Not a very interesting example... no matter if it's fake or real--

There's much better winter camo relics out there... they're really not that hard to come by. $150-200 could give you a pretty nice relic with pins and all (maybe not much of the leather though). Give it some more time is my advice...

Guys like Slados28 & Inka have it good being able to pick & choose ...... folk like us down here have to take it as it comes so for me I would still consider a 'scrubbed' helmet. At least you see what you are getting - I bought a dug Luftwaffe lid that was encrusted and I didn't realise it almost doubled the shipping weight and therefore the cost to me.... then I found out it was about ready to collapse with only the crud holding it together. Let someone do the hard work first I say~
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Maybe its just me, but I like the look of it and with the name in it still is even better.

The white paint does look very clean and bright for what should be 70 year old whitewash. If you are comfortable with it then go for it but for me I couldn't rest easy if there was any question of doubt over authenticity. Should you do decide to pull the trigger, I hope when you receive it the white paint is powdery/chalk-like as the whitewash used was generally water based I believe.

My relic winter camo for reference...

M40 Winter Relic From Psvok Oblast

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Guys like Slados28 & Inka have it good being able to pick & choose ...... folk like us down here have to take it as it comes so for me I would still consider a 'scrubbed' helmet
    Not able to pick and choose any more than you, Dan The days of good easy pickings are long gone up here so I rely on more or less the exact same sources as other "underprivileged" collectors
    $150-200 gets you a very nice untouched winter camo relic if you're patient, like I said, and I'm personally not seeing the attraction here but if the OP loves it then that's his thing and he should get it.

I also agree with Glenn in that it doesn't look all right from the photos --- the white paint in particular. At least not to the degree that I'd be 100% comfortable with the whole thing. Price isn't all that high though... but, yes... no for me anyway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast