Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 SD SS Relic

Article about: Hello everyone, I just received this M42 SS single decal in today from Russia. What I can see: Markings: ckl 66 3027 Paint: Green base first layer, white second and then a green third. The d

Default M42 SD SS Relic

Hello everyone,
    I just received this M42 SS single decal in today from Russia.
    What I can see:
    Markings: ckl 66
    Paint: Green base first layer, white second and then a green third.
    The decal has a metallic shine that is visible in direct sunlight and looks to have been applied over the green base layer.
    The exterior of the helmet appears to have been sprayed with an oil of some type. I would appreciate suggestions as to the proper preservation steps and if it needs the be removed.
    Any comments are appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 SD SS Relic   M42 SD SS Relic  

M42 SD SS Relic   M42 SD SS Relic  

M42 SD SS Relic   M42 SD SS Relic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 SD SS Relic
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I think this one just might stand a chance. But the damage looks awfully contrived.

It's right in the lot # range of CKL SS helmets (Franks database has a number of SS in the 3025 and 3029 range)

For my novice Decal eyes, some key areas that I would like to compare against are damaged (breaks and bottom tip) but other parts (black border, rune thickness) may have potential

That said, I will defer to the decal experts.....

If original, I think what you see is actually the results of an Acid bath. I would leave it as is.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, well i have a ckl 66 3012 SS M42, here it is to compare with. As Michael says, your decals damage is in areas that make it hard to call but i think it is ok. Leon.M42 SD SS RelicM42 SD SS RelicM42 SD SS Relic

[QUOTE=MAP;1882288]I think this one just might stand a chance. But the damage looks awfully contrived.

My best guess on the damage would be a very aggressive "dead check".
    Could also be the result of post combat plinking but I think the exit patterns are more consistent with bullet spalling passing through tissue.
    Statement made with full respect to the sacrifice of young warriors on all sides.
    Last edited by FurryRhino; 08-19-2018 at 05:53 PM.

I also think you have a good one there. SS relics are hard to find , many have been post war upgraded with fake decals.

I've heard that it was quite common for Soviet soldiers to gather up a bunch of German helmets, stand them on fence posts and use them as target practice. I'd say this was very plausible in this case, given that this helmet appears to have been shot multiple times from different directions. They'd have hit the helmet once, picked it up off the ground and set it up again for another shot. Personally, I find these helmets interesting in their own right, and they're certainly a good deal less grisly than the 'KIA' alternative.

B.B.

Thank you gentlemen for the insight and replies.