Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!

Article about: So cool to see the mail truck pull up with the box from Estonia. Ebay seller, said the lid was dug on the Tannenberg line. The condition is OK, has quite a bit of paint visible. I'm curious

Default My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!

So cool to see the mail truck pull up with the box from Estonia.

Ebay seller, said the lid was dug on the Tannenberg line. The condition is OK, has quite a bit of paint visible. I'm curious what the white stuff is...

In the pictures I thought it was a white painted stripe, like a traffic controller. But now that I see it, it almost looks like something from the ground.

Cool stuff... would be great if the helmet could tell stories. Did the former owner assume room temperature there in Estonia? Was he captured and left without a helmet? Injured and taken away without a helmet....

??

Take a look:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!   My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!  

My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!   My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!  

My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!   My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!  

Last edited by FranzJon; 11-23-2010 at 02:00 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!

The pictures did not show up. I would be VERY careful when buying helmets from Ebay, especially ones that come from Eastern Europe.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    The pictures did not show up. I would be VERY careful when buying helmets from Ebay, especially ones that come from Eastern Europe.
    I understand... and I'd be very careful if it were expensive. But it was like $40 and I just wanted an honest dug-relic from a real battlefield.

Franz, real nice relic lid for $40. Now that you've started you'll find out they're like chips........can't have just one. John

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Franz, real nice relic lid for $40. Now that you've started you'll find out they're like chips........can't have just one. John
    isn't that true... I've been browsing sites looking at the $1k+ original lids now...

I'd like an assortment of helmets, battlefield parts and pieces, some original guns and a cap and a visor or two and some demil'd grenades, shells and tank parts...

Does anyone have any ideas what the "white stuff" is? To me it looks more like lime or something, it's thick. But how could it look like that if it was natural staining? Maybe some thick old white paint? I just don't know.

?

Great deal! I just picked my first one up on ebay too. It was like $52.00. About the white... it looks like leftover winter camo paint or something,but you're probably right about the natural lime or calcium build-up. my first wool cap was a black m43 ss panzer's cap! I got it at the local flea markrt for $20.00! And it is very authentic. I'll post it soon for you guys.
    ~Cheers,Dean.

Don't forget stories help helmets sell better , even if it's a cheap ground find. No-one will claim they found a helmet in a filled in toilet hole in an unknown city.
    Yes it's an original German shell that much we can say for sure.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Don't forget stories help helmets sell better , even if it's a cheap ground find. No-one will claim they found a helmet in a filled in toilet hole in an unknown city.
    Yes it's an original German shell that much we can say for sure.
    that's sooooo true.

If it's from the Tannenberg Line... we're talking about 22,000 Germans (mostly Waffen SS) holding off 150,000 Soviets for 2 weeks. That's a legendary story...

nice lid for $40, usually for that price theres more holes than metal!

Who was the seller? PM me if you don't wish to put his name out publicly.

Cheers
    Glenn

check him out... he's got some more up for sale now including a really decent M35.

antiqboy31221 items - Get great deals on Collectibles items on eBay.com!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast