Become our sponsor and display your banner here

My first relic helmet!

Article about: I am new to collecting and figured I would learn all the basics of relic preserving and restoration by purchasing a cheap shell with partial liner and trying a few safe methods to preserve i

Default My first relic helmet!

I am new to collecting and figured I would learn all the basics of relic preserving and restoration by purchasing a cheap shell with partial liner and trying a few safe methods to preserve it and turn it from a rusting piece of history that in a few years would probably be destroyed by rotting away, to a cleaner, more presentable piece of history that is protected and can be preserved for many years to go. Now I am not going to be having a massive collection of ground dug relic helmets because I would like higher quality and presentable helmets "I have a clean Wehrmacht helmet I am purchasing soon and I will attach photos of it", However, I do enjoy the emotion and history a ground dug relic puts off. I would like some opinions about the helmet I just cleaned/preserved, and the one I am interested in buying. Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-09-03-03-54.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	826289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1563b.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	826296  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1563a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	826295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-09-03-04-37.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	826294  

Name:	1563c.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	826297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1563d.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	826298  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

I prefer the one you are interested in buying.
    Good job on the preservation but it will go back to nature eventually - 'rust never sleeps'

Regards, Dan
    " When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't grumble, give a whistle "

The good M35/40 is better than the rotten 42.

great idea having one of each ,have you a picture of the relic liner please ,for a relic it looks to have a lot going for it ,a partial decal some apple green paint and its liner pins too do you intend seal the shell to preserve ,thanks james

Yes I will upload a photo of the relic liner! and yep! I sealed it with a non shiny preservative! Sadly, all that is left of the liner is this aluminum piece that came broken out of it "Not unexpected from a ground dug piece haha". And I decided on a different Wehrmacht Helmet that I recently purchased that I will post once it arrives!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-10-21-03-57.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	827256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-10-21-03-28.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	827257  

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-10-21-03-48.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	827255  

And I fit the aluminum piece back in so it fit snug and not just fall out when I display it

thanks for showing and great to see your hands covered for good preservation of the relic pieces

Thank you very much! And I very rarely handle any of my items without gloves. I can not fathom the thought of in a few years, seeing my items stain or crumble away because of poor handling. Just trying my hardest to preserve history

I love relic helmets are they have a "character" and story all their own, but ultimately they are not as desirable or as satisfying as a bonafide original in good nick