Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My first Stahlhelm, what do you think of it?

Article about: If you keep the helmet in a dry place it wont corrode, but if you want to protect it further wipe a very thin layer of beeswax on to it!..

Default Re: My first Stahlhelm, what do you think of it?

If you keep the helmet in a dry place it wont corrode, but if you want to protect it further wipe a very thin layer of beeswax on to it!..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Stahlhelm, what do you think of it?
    P
    Many

You guys sure this is an M35? I can't see the airvent being a seperate piece on this one, I'd be thinking M40 more than anything.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    You guys sure this is an M35? I can't see the airvent being a seperate piece on this one, I'd be thinking M40 more than anything.
    I believe the rivets are just rusted around them. It appears to be an M35 to me.

Yeah there is quite a bit of rust there.

Anyone know where this pitting could come from? Laying in a storage or outdoors?

Quote by Finnlander View Post
    Yeah there is quite a bit of rust there.

Anyone know where this pitting could come from? Laying in a storage or outdoors?
    Yup stored or lay in a damp area!...

?

Hi welcome to the forum , just a friendly piece of advice for the future , you never put oil on a helmet , it can soften paint , change the colour of paint and also remove decals , also please dont into the habit of trying to see if a decal will rub or scratch off , better to have partial remnants of a decal than no decal at all . As for finding original liner , chin strap and pins , its not worth it , you 60 euros will increase to another 100- 150 euros on top , plus theres no guarantee that all the parts will be genuine , i would remove the liner and strap and be left with a semi relic original lid fror display

Hello and thanks Dave.
    Okay, no harm done, haven't put any oil in it
    I just tried gently with my thumb to see if it is just some dirt, but it propably isn't.
    How am I supposed to ''disarm'' the shell from it's postwar liner? How the metal things (pins?) that hold the liner in the helmet, can be removed?
    I guess ripping them off doesn't lower it's value? Not that I would be selling it.

Btw, can you show me a picture of a Stahlhelm which's pitting has gone to fully relic? Most pics what I've found have had different kind of corrosion. Corrosion that an amateur like me would call normal corrosion.

?

If you search the relic section you will find numerous examples of helmets that are in every state of corrosion , most but not all hemets have some form of corrosion or light surface rust , some have minor pitting and also heavy to the point of being wafer thin in places ,it all depends on the circumstances of the environment they were found in , obviously the drier the conditions the better state of preservation but humidity can also play a large part in condition ,not only to the metal but to the liner as well and also decals , take a look at Doug B thread 'Wall of helmets ' to see some of finest state of preservation in helmets and decals , you wont see many better

?

As for removing the liner , i suspect that your liner has been attached similar to genuine german ones ,ie by the three pins which pass through the band that the leather is attached to and folded over , you need to look at the band and the pins internally , pull the leather away from the band ,see if the pins are folded over on the band only , it should be easy to open the pins with a flat headed screwdriver ,it might be a bit fiddly but once open just push the pins out and the whole liner should just pull out ,if the pins go through the band and the leather , the same method still applies but will make it much easier , have fun

Hello Finnlander you should have brought one of the 1000s of German helmets the Finnish Army sold off a few years ago there were alot of original German helmets with decals and the odd one with the original German liner mixed in with the M55 helmets ,just took sometime to sort though them still these days the odd one or two turn up at the SA shops so always worth a look

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast