Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with a helmet found in Auvilliers, France.

Article about: Hello. I picked this helmet up in Auvilliers, France. The most intriguing thing for me is that the person I got it from said there was no recorded fighting in the area, but it was dug up wit

?

Default Need help with a helmet found in Auvilliers, France.

Hello. I picked this helmet up in Auvilliers, France. The most intriguing thing for me is that the person I got it from said there was no recorded fighting in the area, but it was dug up with some other personal effects.
    The story goes that it was found by a metal detectorist looking for coins but came across this!
    Can anyone tell me exactly what type of helmet it is?
    Also if there was any information on the area about fighting you might know of, it would duly be appreciated!
    If you have any questions about dating your helmet, I have some useful information at;
    helmetcollectables.com

Thanks!
    William
    Need help with a helmet found in Auvilliers, France.Need help with a helmet found in Auvilliers, France.Need help with a helmet found in Auvilliers, France.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with a helmet found in Auvilliers, France.
    P
    Many

M42 --- hard to say much more considering the state it's in.

Since Auvilliers is located in Normandy, it is very likely that German troops at least passed through.

What was the nature of the personal effects? That shoould tell you something.

Cheers,
    Emile

MAP
    ?

Decent relic M42. Don't buy the story, buy the item. Looks like maybe some winter white wash remains but could just be some build up of something.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The helmet appears to be an M42...Even if there was no fighting in the immediate area, there still would have been a small garrison of occupation troops, and the town would have likely seen an increased military presence after the D-day Invasion ...Troops on their way to and from the front would have passed through as well...
    Glenn

?

Id say if a detectorist found it then it was fortunate that He didnt put His spade through it when digging it up.

?

Maybe with a little bit of luck you can find some informations on the neck inside the helmet.

FWIW I read stories from eyewitnesses in my area, that when the Canadian forces were approaching in '45, some german soldiers would try to get civilian clothes from locals and dump their field gear.

Auvilliers is at the north of Rouen, il't the road to Germany, crossing Amiens....In this area I found one SS dog tag(from a motorcycle man killed by resistance).
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Be careful with metal detectorist....If they look for old coins without permit, it's illegal.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/