Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Project.

Article about: Another badly corroded helmet.. in the ground for years.. Needs a clean and some TLC.

Default New Project.

Another badly corroded helmet.. in the ground for years..

Needs a clean and some TLC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Project.   New Project.  

New Project.   New Project.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Project.
    P
    Many

Some TLC.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Project.   New Project.  

Found these markings..

Seems it's a 1944 liner band, is this correct for this helmet?

Helmet band is knackered.

The pins even worse..

Looks to be an M35 reissued probably near the end of the war resulting in that 1944 dated liner band.
    I don't really understand why you decided to take out the liner as IMO you didn't need to take it out, apart from looking at the markings, I guess.
    But this will probably ( if you're not careful enough) result in either part of the liner band breaking and/or one or more prongs of the split pins, I know how easily that happens from my Q64 M40 restoration but I had to take the liner band out in that case to remove post war paint.
    Also what exactly did you use to clean the helmet up? Looks very shiny now.
    Also looks to me as if it had a lot more paint still on it prior to you cleaning it up but that might have just been the photos and I know how easily old paint can chip off,too, so..
    Anyway, I'm curious to see what your plans for this one are.
    Luis

I think you went a bit overboard on the cleaning, with solid relics I would usually treat the rust and avoid abrasive cleaning if any paint survives. Light waxing can make it more presentable but this almost looks like the outside has been on a buffing wheel. But as long as you are happy with it then I'm also curious to see how your project cones out.

What have you done???? You just destroyed the entire helmet! You just needed to clean it with warm water and added some beeswax against the rust. This is now worth nothing. You better stop doing this right away

It's worth a lot to me, my friend.

MAP
    ?

Quote by The Devil's Bank View Post
    It's worth a lot to me, my friend.
    Not a fan of restorations myself so I see where Jan is coming from but your response was well measured and delivered in a very gentlemanly manner!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Also looks to me as if it had a lot more paint still on it prior to you cleaning it up but that might have just been the photos and I know how easily old paint can chip off,too, so..
    Yes, i also see some grey paint. Its sad you removed so much of the rust and patina that made this helmet special, because i personally think relic helmets are great, but in the relic condition. If you clean and rework them, they are worth less then they where in their original rusty state. Now you have just a piece of steel that does not really tell any story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast