Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion

Article about: This is my first post and I thought I would share my collection with you. What can I say about it? It has all come from an old friend and collector who used to restore german tracked vehicle

?

Default Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion

This is my first post and I thought I would share my collection with you.

What can I say about it? It has all come from an old friend and collector who used to restore german tracked vehicles in the 80's and a little later. During his visits to Europe he was offered helmets at the dozen, even acquiring many at a time from museums or other collectors.

This was at a time when the helmets had no real value. Anyway he decided to collect 1000 helmets! Which he did.

He is no longer parting with any more but currently I have approx 75. Ranging from camo m16's to M42's. Even SS helmets and a falschirmjager relic too.

The good thing with these is the find or source location was recorded. Many are from the channel islands, others Normandy, Ardennes and various other locations. None are from the eastern from either.

I am gradually cleaning them and revealing paint, markings and decals of course.

I hope you like the images.

These are not all of them as I have the majority of the m16's displayed elsewhere
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion   Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion
    P
    Many

?

Some more pcs.

Apologies the pic software is placing some images upside down!

These are showing restored relic helmets including an apple green m40 before and after.

I hope you enjoy them
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion   Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion  

Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion   Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion  

Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion  

The helmets are coming up nicely. Like uncovering history!! Nice work.

MAP
    ?

That SS and M16/17 camo came out great!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting seeing the results --- please keep going!

What technique for restoration are you using?

?

Thanks for your comments.

My method is very simple really.
    Wash them down, with soapy water. Then use a brillo pad possibly or similiar if some paint remains. Only lightly cleaning.
    I sometimes use oxalic for limited periods but I don't leave the helmets in too long.
    Oxalic removes rust and leaves pits in the metal where rust has been. Often using a brillo pad can leave a much smoother finish.

The key is to remove all traces of oxalic. Also ensure it is dry and then seal it. I have used rennaissance wax and also clear neutral shoe polish

?

Thanks for your comments.

My method is very simple really.
    Wash them down, with soapy water. Then use a brillo pad possibly or similiar if some paint remains. Only lightly cleaning.
    I sometimes use oxalic for limited periods but I don't leave the helmets in too long.
    Oxalic removes rust and leaves pits in the metal where rust has been. Often using a brillo pad can leave a much smoother finish.

The key is to remove all traces of oxalic. Also ensure it is dry and then seal it. I have used rennaissance wax and also clear neutral shoe polish

More example pics.

Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion   Ongoing German Relic Helmet Collevtion  

Great job! I clean most of my helmets with citric acid, i will try some with soapy water like you did. Please post them, all of them if possible so we can see the results.

Surely the brillo pad removes paint, whitewash also?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast