Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pair of Relics :D

Article about: Hello My friends ! Just wanted to share this pair of relics I got this weekend: By the way, guys, I belive it's a M42 helmet, but not sure, I see the vent is attached to the shell and the br

I do have another relic helmet, an M35, that came from a seller in Russia. It has a bullet hole in it, entering on the right side and exiting through the rear of the skirt. I understand that it's very probable the last person to wear it was killed in it, and there are a great many collectors who would not touch such a helmet for a variety of reasons. It was recovered during agricultural works, although that's no guarantee that it was obtained in a morally responsible way.
    I wasn't thinking at the time when I bought it, and didn't notice the combat damage until it arrived. But I won't throw it away now.
    Even if it is rather macabre, the relic serves as a very stark and straightforward reminder of the horror and brutality of war, and that's why I keep and preserve it. Not to glorify violence or warfare, not for the 'buffoon factor' of having a helmet with a bullet hole in it, but to show visitors and anyone else interested that the real war was a world apart from the version portrayed in so many movies.

I will never, ever condone graverobbing. It is an indefensible act. But relics – those obtained in a morally right and careful way – are a good deal closer to the history than their intact counterparts. A shame that there are those who will put profit before respect, and desecrate the graves of men far braver than they themselves will ever be.

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pair of Relics :D
    P
    Many

A true statement BB and one I agree with ..... but I am "burdened" with a dozen or more relic helms that I only have the word of a faceless seller from half a world away that they were found in lakes or dumps or trenches or collapsed bunkers - FAR away from a grave. I don't collect them anymore but 10 years back when I did, no-one screamed "grave plunderer" to me .. I guess we were all a lot more trusting then?

Dan

...... oh, and in the large friendly words of the Hitchhikers guide ....DON'T PANIC!!!!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

My entire helmet collection consist of battlefield relics. As of right now I have 12 ground dug lids. The idea of them being "grave found" has passed my mind before, but I don't let it bother me. I have aircraft relics from crash sites where the entire crews died in the crashes. I also have a small collection of German dogtags too. Keep in mind most vet bring back items, were taken from the bodies of dead soldiers. Rifles, Helmets, Buckles, and so on. Im not trying to defend grave robbing by any means, but rather ask where should we draw the line in collecting? grave robbing is a terrible atrocity, but im not going to tiptoe around adding battlefield relics to my collection just because they "might" be from a grave. If you ask me battlefield relics have the most character, and they're really awesome. One easy way to get around this "grave robbing" paranoia is to befriend reputable relic hunters. Thats what ive done, and I have a awesome collection of battlefield relics that are grave free. At least I think its awesome lol

Best regards- Jarret

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2