Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Preserving Relic helmets

Article about: This has just arrived in the post for me today. It is the last relic helmet that I will be buying, it is encrusted with sandy soil and I would like some advice on preserving it, maybe ways o

Default Preserving Relic helmets

This has just arrived in the post for me today. It is the last relic helmet that I will be buying, it is encrusted with sandy soil and I would like some advice on preserving it, maybe ways of removing soil and surface rust without damaging the paint and decal remnants.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Preserving Relic helmets   Preserving Relic helmets  

Preserving Relic helmets   Preserving Relic helmets  

Preserving Relic helmets   Preserving Relic helmets  

Preserving Relic helmets  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Preserving Relic helmets
    P
    Many

Reg
    ?

Default Re: Preserving Relic helmets

Hi IOW

This is a bit of a hot potato with sweede saver collectors, some would prefer it in the condition it's in where others would go full hog and re-do the whole thing liner and all. End of the day its yours to do with as you want. and some of the guys on here are expert at tarting up relic helmets.

Some mythical stuff called Oxylic acid (or somthing like that) provides good results when used correctly to remove rust. Ill leave that to the experts to tell you and the opinions as to what to do with it.

Very nice addition to any collection. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes

Reg

Yup have used Oxalic acid many times on relic lids (even FJ lids) and they come out great, just dont use too much. Preserves decals very well, even brings them out under the rust! dissolve about a handful of oxalic acid into a 20 gallon pail, let it sit drop the helmet in for 5 mins, scrub with toothbrush, dip again 5 mins until desired effect. Let it dry well and apply a good poly sealer coat (they come out after drying with white film almost) and viola, great restored helmet.

Thats pretty good advice.Just take it easy over decal or it may disapper and there goes the value of the lid.Best of luck to you:-)

Tom

Quote by Tom Bennett View Post
    Thats pretty good advice.Just take it easy over decal or it may disapper and there goes the value of the lid.Best of luck to you:-)

Tom
    Advice on the oxalic acid is correct up to now.
    Just one thing you should keep in mind, it is extremely poisoning !
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Correct,
    Oxalic should be used in a WELL ventilated area - outdoors - and wear gloves, safety glasses and don't breathe the stuff!!!
    Having said that it works a treat but don't expect it to look like new - just cleaned up of all that buildup.

To be honest i dont think i have touched one of my 30 relic german helmets with cleaning material ,wire brushes ect ect ,and they remain the same condition year after year .i woried sometimes that rust would eventually eat away the dEcals into nothing ,but this hasnt happened.try not to handle them too much and keep them in a normal house hold atmosphere which is dry and reasonably warm.I took note of some of the advice i was given not to write on the helmets the history ect.THERE ARE SOME HELMETS THOUGH WHICH ARE LITERALLTY CRUMBLING,I THINK I HEARD OR READ THEY ARE BEST PUT IN AN AIRTIGHT PLASTIC BAG TO SAVE FURTHER DETERIORATION THOUGH?IT WAS INTERESTING TO SEE YOU SAID THIS IS YOUR LAST GERMAN HELMET RELIC BUY,I ONLY WISH I COULD BE SO STRONG,THERE ARE SOME I SEE THAT TICK ALL MY BOXES AND I HAVE TO HAVE!!!!(ADDICT)AS I SAID BEFORE ONE OF MY GREATEST JOYS IS TO WAIT FOR THE BOX TO COME CONTAINING A RELIC HELMET FROM PARTICULARLY RUSSIA OR POLAND.

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    To be honest i dont think i have touched one of my 30 relic german helmets with cleaning material ,wire brushes ect ect ,and they remain the same condition year after year .i woried sometimes that rust would eventually eat away the dEcals into nothing ,but this hasnt happened.try not to handle them too much and keep them in a normal house hold atmosphere which is dry and reasonably warm.I took note of some of the advice i was given not to write on the helmets the history ect.THERE ARE SOME HELMETS THOUGH WHICH ARE LITERALLTY CRUMBLING,I THINK I HEARD OR READ THEY ARE BEST PUT IN AN AIRTIGHT PLASTIC BAG TO SAVE FURTHER DETERIORATION THOUGH?IT WAS INTERESTING TO SEE YOU SAID THIS IS YOUR LAST GERMAN HELMET RELIC BUY,I ONLY WISH I COULD BE SO STRONG,THERE ARE SOME I SEE THAT TICK ALL MY BOXES AND I HAVE TO HAVE!!!!(ADDICT)AS I SAID BEFORE ONE OF MY GREATEST JOYS IS TO WAIT FOR THE BOX TO COME CONTAINING A RELIC HELMET FROM PARTICULARLY RUSSIA OR POLAND.
    Hello L.V.
    Well I said it was my last relic but you never know. I'm a bit fussy with helmets even though I've not been collecting long at all. All my helmets are M35's.There is just something I like about M35's.I like the separate air vent rivets and the rolled edge, they seem to be a bit less hurried than the later helmets. I have three relics and one very salty old re issue. I like my relics to still have the liner band and split pins, so maybe if one comes up like that I will get another.. I've decided I am just going to leave all my helmets just as they are, no cleaning, no acid, nothing!

Hello
    I think that helmet was clear with oxalic acid.

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    I've decided I am just going to leave all my helmets just as they are, no cleaning, no acid, nothing!
    A wise choice I think.

Cheers, Ade.