Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The price of relics.....

Article about: Hi, Frundsberg, I think i got mine at the right time and have had them for many years now, they are mostly just bullet holed but the helmets them selves are in good condition and very solid.

Default Re: The price of relics.....

Hi, Frundsberg,
    I think i got mine at the right time and have had them for many years now, they are mostly just bullet holed but the helmets them selves are in good condition and very solid. I have listed them as to where they came from inside the shell,
    as i think if one doesnt it would end up just a relic shell. The most importent one i have is from the dig in Berlin in the eighties when they were mapping the Hitler bunker, i have a friend who was sighting the Tiergarten when they found two helmets. i waited ages for him to get around to sell me one, it is a 42 SD with one shot hole in the high left of the helmet. That will probable stay here.
    Dave.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Well, it is sad truth that is harder and harder to find decent relics anymore from the battlefields. Rust has done its work and some helmets are really in so bad condition that there is no point to pick them up. Also every kind of diggers (black&white) have excavated thousands of helmets during last 20 years in previous USSR. So it is now pretty hard to find even a rusty helmet. Prices $13 or $35 are really cheap. I personally do not see why should someone sell a helmet for a such price.
    Very true , the amount of work involved in digging out decent relics ( none are found on the surface or just below anymore amd most are found in bunkers ) means that the diggers have to be able to justify their time and costs , travel , equipment , time etc , plus now most are on the internet and can see how much relics sell for particulary in Western Europe and the States , they see that Helmets they have sold fairly cheap then get sold on at much higher prices , so now they charge those prices themselves and so it continues !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I bought this two weeks ago for 5 euros:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELM_-02.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	320602

Late war M42, CKL66.

I found it on eBay. Good prices can still be found, but they are harder and harder to come by.

Nitram

?

Depends what you call a good price for something , it's probably only worth 5 euros as it isn't a genuine relic anymore !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

If it's been in the ground somewhere, seen action and been left behind to rot, I see it as a relic. Even if it's restored, or repaired to me it's still a relic. I was searching for a helmet to restore, so personally I think I did well, for my intent. However if you are looking for untouched relics, those can still be found for 5-10 euros if you watch closely.

Nitram

?

Name:	Kurland May 2011 053.jpg 
Views:	4450 
Size:	271.3 KB 
ID:	320704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kurland May 2011 054.jpg 
Views:	7583 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	320705

The point i'm making is that a 5 Euro helmet is just that not necassarily a bargain , some relic lids still have decals, liner , chin straps , original paint etc which is why the price of them is much higher and is rising whcih is the topic of this discussion !! These examples were available on my last trip to Kurland in a diggers garden , 3 euros each if thats what you want to buy but the same guy had far better condition ones for much much more !!

1st July 1916

?

Name:	ss_helmet (24).jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	320722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss_helmet.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	320723

Helmets such as this from my collection found in southern estonia on the positions of the SS Sturmbrigade Wallonie do not get sold anymore for low prices and their value is increasing for the reasons discussed in the thread

1st July 1916

?

Ah, a fair point. I'd forgotten that some relics may have liners etc.

Nitram

This is my favourite - a relic double decal M40 with bullet holes! Ones like this are hard to find now!

I'll have to find one of mine back!
    I am sure you guy's are gone love that one.
    It is the only relic I own that has a known history; it was found in the Ardennes with the helmet cover retainers rusted to the lid.
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast