Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Real M40

Article about: Hi guys - The hunt for the nice relic continues, and I have found this supposed M40. Do you think tis is a real M40?

Default Real M40

Hi guys - The hunt for the nice relic continues, and I have found this supposed M40. Do you think tis is a real M40?
    Real M40Real M40Real M40Real M40

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real M40
    P
    Many

Default Re: Real M40

Looks like a real m40 in relic condition to me.

?

Looks OK to me.

Original shell but I don't know what is happening with the exterior finish.

?

Andy is quite correct a relic shell but something odd has gone on with it the exterior paint has been added !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Guys.. I am thankfull for you Guys here. It is very difficult so se whether the Shells are real or new repros aged.. I still try to look at a lot of Pictures and learn from them - but there is always a detail that changes when compared to the ones in here..

Like these two. the first looks clearly like repainted - but I am not able to determine if the Shell is authentic. The second looks very shiny and like the paint has been removed - but still a bit of a decal seems to be left back.
    Real M40
    Real M40

But I love the journey and the only way is to look and learn

The original helmet you posted is a relic that looks to have been restored to the outside and then stripped or something.

The second 2 you posted up, again both look to be original shells from this angle but would love to see more before you can defintivly decide. The first looks to be a repaint bat hard to see from the pic because of lighting, angle and 1 pic. The second is stripped and could be a original decal or a post war jobby applied. Either way it wont increase the value of the helmet as both would be good for refurbs only.

If you want a relic they will come around all in good time. If you looking for a cheap german helmet all your going to find is what your listing, restore quality shells. I would personally save your money and invest in a good lid with original paint and liner at the very least. You may spend more but well worth it in the long run

Cheers
    Jason

?

Excellent advice Jason !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings