Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reasons for collecting relic helmets

Article about: Hello Nuno, for many people living far away from battlefields the only way to buy is through internet. Now internet is almost everywhere and the market is global. If 20 years ago you could b

Default Re: Reasons for collecting relic helmets

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Hi Schwerpunkt, that is a fantastic helmet you included photos of. Sure I would like to own that helmet. But Paul hit it on the head. There are relics, salty, and mint, I prefer relics. I have no visions of my relic being "shot off the heads of hero soldiers." Heck it might have fallen off the handlebars of a soldier's bicycle and rolled into the ditch. But I can tell you it definitely came from the field, and I know what battle was fought on that field. That is more thrilling to me then a pristine helmet that I know nothing about. I know Paul has beautiful relic helmets that still include insigina and paint, so all info is not always lost in relic finds. I can't imagine the excitment of digging one of those up myself. So, short and sweet, I guess you could say I have a simplistic outlook. Individuality is what makes the world so interesting!

Take care,
    Jay
    Jay I can totally accept your reasons. For me digging them up myself and being able to tag the find location and researching the possible units it could have come from would be the fun.

But reading here that other non-ground find helmets have a high chance of being fiddled with is simply false. In fact 95% perhaps more of the original helmets in collections and on sale are not fiddled with. BUT one first has to have the experience to separate an original from a replica , fake or reenactor helmet.

I just felt I had to set matters straight as people are creating a bad atmosphere towards helmets that did survive the war.

Of course the AK helmet is not a 400$ helmet but a mid to late war helmet (M42) without a decal can be scooped up for around 400$.

I know two nice ones named for sale for 495$. Both with original strap and leather in good condition.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reasons for collecting relic helmets
    P
    Many

I agree that some helmets brought back by veterans where in a lov ely battle aged condition and there is no doubt that would be the type of helmets to buy from a vet who took it off the soldier ./other helmets have the look that they never seen the front and have relatively no interest to me.sorry but the last 30 years fakers have become more sophisticated and buying a genuine good condition helmet needs careful study.so unless i can get one directly from a vet or his estate ,im sticking with relics.

Thanks Schwerpunkt, you're right, sometimes I paint with too broad a brush. I think that the topic of the thread "Collecting Relic Helmets", caused it to have more relic collectors than original intact collectors responding, so it was alittle one sided. All the helmets have their place in history and hopefully in the future, more in OUR collections.

Take care,
    Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Thanks Schwerpunkt, you're right, sometimes I paint with too broad a brush. I think that the topic of the thread "Collecting Relic Helmets", caused it to have more relic collectors than original intact collectors responding, so it was alittle one sided. All the helmets have their place in history and hopefully in the future, more in OUR collections.

Take care,
    Jay

Don't get me wrong.....................I like them ALL too - relic or otherwise !

Relic helmets are still fairly inexpensive and have a certain appeal at
    this time. Twenty or thirty years ago you wouldn't have even looked
    at one. - Excuse the pun - but they were dirt cheap back then
    as well ! !

Maybe I'm just jealous from seeing all the extremely nice helmets on
    this forum, and I don't have a really 'special' one in my small WWII
    German lid collection yet. But I know mine are all genuine pieces,
    regardless of where they came from or how rusty some are !

Regards, Steve.

I'm kinda like you Steve. Paul E. got me started on the relic lids and I don't have that special one in my meager collection yet either. I'm always dumbfounded by the nice original lids that members of this forum have in their collections. Reminds me of what Bill Murray used to say, "I'm not worthy".

Jay

Well, Jay, looking at all the great WWII German helmets on this forum and
    elsewhere has got me rev'd up to get a real beauty someday soon.
    Probably NOT a 'relic' either !

A nice SD Heer M40 complete with a liner and chinstrap will do nicely !

I'll also add a few more rusty relic lids to the collection anyway !

Regards, Steve.

?

I don't want to break your dreams guys but it's years already that crooks sell fake relic stuff on the internet and the bay in particular. Some lids are really scary, I remember months ago a paratrooper lid supposely found in Italy which turned out to be a fake. The first buyer returned it back but it was later sold abroad and paid big money. Same applies for buckles,badges, etc. The equation rusty=good is no longer valid, sorry.

Guys great reasons for collecting relics but....lets see the lids.
    I love relic lids and would love to see whats out there. Cheers, Raul

?

Quote by Zeller View Post
    I don't want to break your dreams guys but it's years already that crooks sell fake relic stuff on the internet and the bay in particular. Some lids are really scary, I remember months ago a paratrooper lid supposely found in Italy which turned out to be a fake. The first buyer returned it back but it was later sold abroad and paid big money. Same applies for buckles,badges, etc. The equation rusty=good is no longer valid, sorry.
    A valid point Zeller especially relating to SS Items , SS relic Helmets and FSJ are now changing hands for bigger and bigger prices so the fakers are being attracted to them now
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Zeller View Post
    Those are really bad new, because until now rust was about a 70%guarantee that an item was indeed genuine, but fakers are getting better & better by the day at what they do, so right now collecting is a risky hobby, especialy when buying from the internet.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast