Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reasons for collecting relic helmets

Article about: Hello Nuno, for many people living far away from battlefields the only way to buy is through internet. Now internet is almost everywhere and the market is global. If 20 years ago you could b

Default Reasons for collecting relic helmets

For most of the relic helmets i have bought ,there is an interesting story comes with some of them.these stories are invaluable.of course i always hope the sellers are being honest.i have a few m35s and an m42 which where found in a small village in poland ,apparently the german unit where surrounded and destroyed towards the end of the war also a m40 russian relic helmet was bought from the same battle ?true ,well hope so.i have a genuine ss m42 with some of the cover rivets still there a little of the cover which apparently came from the rare chalamayne division who where stationed in pomerania.also a lovely m42 ferom the airport in berlin.many other stories which make relic helmets fracinating.one thing i definately know is if any of the stories are incorrect at least they have a genuine ww2 story in them as they where there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reasons for collecting relic helmets
    P
    Many

Default Re: Reasons for collecting relic helmets

Here, here! I'm all for relic helmets too. For one, living in Australia means access to them is mainly via Ebay and while you can't get the dirt under your fingernails yourself, at least you know the rust bucket you'll receive is a genuine rust bucket! Secondly, I always feel so bad for the members who's reply to their hopeful question seems so often to be "sorry, it's a fake" .... don't take the risk guys & gals, buy a relic instead!

The problem is that sometimes it can be quite hard to see if it's real or not. Ok.. with helmets it's a bit easier but don't forget that the people that make fake/copies are getting better at their job.
    The best thing is still to dig for urself. And if u live to far abroad just take a holliday and go searching It hurts if u buy something from Ebay and it's a fake, but it gives a rush if u find something by urself that's real
    Money can't replace that feeling.

p.s I'm still searching for my first helmet, but some day i will find it.

cheers,

Danmark very good point,and its the reason i stay well clear of good condition helmets.its not to say thjere isnt fantastic good condition helmets out there ,but its very difficult getting to tell them fron the fakes.i ma confident that every one of thye relics i have are 100% original using my built up knowledge ,its all we can go on.caution though i think the ss relics are being increasingly faked.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Here, here! I'm all for relic helmets too. For one, living in Australia means access to them is mainly via Ebay and while you can't get the dirt under your fingernails yourself, at least you know the rust bucket you'll receive is a genuine rust bucket! Secondly, I always feel so bad for the members who's reply to their hopeful question seems so often to be "sorry, it's a fake" .... don't take the risk guys & gals, buy a relic instead!

I have a couple as well from European sources. I have a rusted but nice M40
    ( Q62 from Serbia.) and an M42 with a fair amount of original paint
    ( Size 68 - on the way from Estonia! ) They are just shells really,
    because all the leather has rotted away.

I can't risk an expensive forgery, and these are cheap enough that if I want
    to play around and try to "restore" one with fresh paint and a nice
    repro decal, it's not going to cost me thousands of dollars.

Another thing besides knowing they are ORIGINAL, is that for the price
    of a complete but so-so condition Heer helmet that may have been
    "messed with" you can have five or six genuine relics !

I actually plan on getting one or two, maybe three more - - - -

I think an M35 next time !

Regards

Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-21-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Just got another 'relic' today...........

It's a M35 - Q64 shell that was wrongly advertised as a M40.
    Possibly a Heer decal under the overpaint, although it could
    also be Kriegsmarine.

I'll post photos when I'm able !

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-21-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I have a couple as well from European sources. I have a rusted but nice M40 ( Q62 from Serbia.)
    and an M42 with a fair amount of original paint ( size 68 - on the way from Estonia! )
    They are just shells really, because all the leather has rotted away.

I can't risk an expensive forgery, and these are cheap enough that if I want to play around and try
    to "restore" one with fresh paint and a nice repro decal, it's not going to cost me
    thousands of dollars.

Another thing besides knowing they are ORIGINAL, is that for the price of a complete
    but so-so condition Heer helmet that may have been "messed with" you can have
    five or six genuine relics !

I actually plan on getting one or two, maybe three more - - - - -

I think an M35 next time !

Regards,

Steve.
    The only reason I read here for collecting relic helmets is because people are scared to buy a more expensive one in good condition for fear it may be fiddled with.
    So why not start with a salty respectable helmet instead of a rusted through helmet with no components.
    You can learn a lot more from a salty helmet than from a relic. Knowledge is power.

?

I have no relic lids but i would love a nice relic ss lid so if anybody has a spare please let me know,, but its gotta be genuine cheers Dave

I agree with all you say . Ive some really nice relics , still with much paint , and only one Bought in UK , complete (sadly the zimmeret camo had been partially removed ,but its original green underneath . The helmet market in Russia is 90% relic ,dig ups . so a plain steel shell in good nick can achieve a nice relic swap !
    helmets are so popular they are getting increasingly expensive in complete condition . Theres alot of nice gear out there that also needs buying !

i got an m35 Russian front in sale section !

Hey you guys, I recently traded for a fantastic M40 relic helmet with an esteemed member (longtime member and moderator) of this forum. It still has some paint on it. Put a notice on the wanted page if you want a relic helmet from a person you can trust. There are many on this forum. He told me exactly where it was dug. Find something you don't mind parting with and do some horse trading. It's kinda fun, plus you get to talk with some amazing people. I agree that relic helmets are the best. Most of these relics were in the thick of the battle. There is a real war story behind them. You may not know the exact story, but if you get it from the guy who dug it you can get the general story.

Take care,
    Jay

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast