Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic dug M40 with wire for comment

Article about: I'm thinking of buying this lid, it looks to me like an M40 and what is catching my attention is that is has remnants of wire used for foliage attachment. I am trying to be wary of a tampere

Default Relic dug M40 with wire for comment

I'm thinking of buying this lid, it looks to me like an M40 and what is catching my attention is that is has remnants of wire used for foliage attachment. I am trying to be wary of a tampered helmet but the rust marks in the lid seems to correspond with the wire which gives me some comfort unless anyone else sees something that I don't?
    One concern I have is regarding the chinstrap which has a stamping i'm not familiar with and I wonder if it might be a repo strap in which case that brings a big shadow of doubt over the rest of the lid.
    I'd appreciate any comment anyone might have.

Cheers
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic dug M40 with wire for comment
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic dug M40 with wire for comment

Hi Glen,
    All looks good to me the wear and wire is all original that i can see, the strap isnt attached so it makes no difference just put that to one side. the wire is worn in all the right places and the scares
    on the helmet match the wire. i would have that anyday in my collection. hope this helps.
    dave.

Thanks Dave, I think she's a little cutie and I might just have to add her to my collection of rusty buckets, lets see if others chime in with such positive feedback.
    Cheers

?

Looks fine , where is it from ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Any chance of saying whereabouts this was found and when and how much is being asked for it, i might be wrong but my gut feeling is telling me theres something not 100% kosher about this helmet, i know it looks the part, but to be quite honest i have produced the same results for a friend of mine with a fake helmet that he wanted to display, a few months in the ground with some water being applied in certain areas as well as some old fencing wire from a farm local to me produced a very convincing "ground dug" effect , as for the liner, admittedly well worn appearance, but the water damage extends into the dome of the helmet and the upper tongues appear not to have been affected, and the outside appearance although slightly rusted in areas you can see a great deal of the under paint that remains mainly under the dirt which is still falling from the helmet, plus it might be the photos but i dont see a great deal of wear around the outside rim , perhaps real close ups might help, just my opinion, but i would want to examine this one very carefully

Quote by davejb View Post
    Any chance of saying whereabouts this was found and when and how much is being asked for it, i might be wrong but my gut feeling is telling me theres something not 100% kosher about this helmet, i know it looks the part, but to be quite honest i have produced the same results for a friend of mine with a fake helmet that he wanted to display, a few months in the ground with some water being applied in certain areas as well as some old fencing wire from a farm local to me produced a very convincing "ground dug" effect , as for the liner, admittedly well worn appearance, but the water damage extends into the dome of the helmet and the upper tongues appear not to have been affected, and the outside appearance although slightly rusted in areas you can see a great deal of the under paint that remains mainly under the dirt which is still falling from the helmet, plus it might be the photos but i dont see a great deal of wear around the outside rim , perhaps real close ups might help, just my opinion, but i would want to examine this one very carefully
    The helmet is on E-bay here in the US i think the Bidding is at 150$ crasy.

?

Thanks Chris, well im not surprised its on E-Bay, i know they have good stuff on there but a hell of a lot of bad, im still not convinced 100% about this one, but thats just my opinion, it doesnt take that long to make a helmet look like that, and ive done a few for my friends ,always fake ones i dont like messing with the real lids,like some do

Quote by davejb View Post
    Thanks Chris, well im not surprised its on E-Bay, i know they have good stuff on there but a hell of a lot of bad, im still not convinced 100% about this one, but thats just my opinion, it doesnt take that long to make a helmet look like that, and ive done a few for my friends ,always fake ones i dont like messing with the real lids,like some do
    Something about it is not right ,the wire does not look like it was on the helmet before.I still would not pay the price it is going for.

I saw that too... he's selling a few all claimed to be Monte Cassino relics. That's some GREAT history. However... that wire-relic i snow up to 225 shipped and he has a non-relic M35 DD (decals removed) that's really nice but it's up to 350 shipped. Typical eBay, these lids are going to end up pricey I'm guessing.

Quote by FranzJon View Post
    I saw that too... he's selling a few all claimed to be Monte Cassino relics. That's some GREAT history. However... that wire-relic i snow up to 225 shipped and he has a non-relic M35 DD (decals removed) that's really nice but it's up to 350 shipped. Typical eBay, these lids are going to end up pricey I'm guessing.
    I just saw that ,all junk easy fakes.I can take a good helmet and make it look like it had DD.I will save my money for better stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast