Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Relic or good condition?

Article about: Guys to be honest im getting more horrified at the level of sophisticated fakes,mainly because good honest people are getting fleeced.I think even in a small way in the relic area they are t

Default Relic or good condition?

Guys to be honest im getting more horrified at the level of sophisticated fakes,mainly because good honest people are getting fleeced.I think even in a small way in the relic area they are trying to fake the ss decals ect.Guys who have more exsperience than me can hopefully outwit the thieves.Once again i have taken refuge in relics which i would suggest are now 95% genuine .They have usually good info on where they where found, and the study of rust degradation ,and bullet shrapnel holes is facinating at the way the degrading ,and punctured metal has been EVOLVING SINCE IT LEFT THE FACTORIES IN MINT CONDITION.It is also possible to narrow down the regiment the helmet likely belonged too.Because of the points i have mentioned are there any of the guys who wouldnt normally touch relics now seeing this as an alternative ,or are there any other opinions,LV
    Last edited by LAS VEGAS; 08-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic or good condition?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic or good condition?

LV

if they know you'll be paying $$'s for a heap of rust the'll be faking it also.
    Last June I was on a holliday in Rhodes, in the old town (where the tourist are) there was a shop selling knives and regalia. I saw a M35/40 complete with inner liner ring rusted together.
    You could see that it was a fake, but they stil asked 400 euro's for it.

Jean

If there is money to be made by faking it, you can guarantee it will be faked. one scam that has been going on for years is the sale of modern copies of British WW1 cap-badges. Dealers get them and bury them in the ground in a bucket for a few months. When they come out it is very hard for new collectors to tell them from originals.

I believe the days of faked relics are very nearly upon us. I saw a T.V programme the other day where someone turned a sheet of steel into a rusty mess in about 20 minutes using a kind of reverse electrolysis. Making rust is easy too. Just look on youtube for countless 'how to make rust' tutorials.. Give me a helmet in good condition anyday. Its easier to spot fake decals, chinstraps and liners than it is to spot fake rust

Redgemark are you saying the german helmet was a repro which they aged to look like a relic?Harry its accepted that the cheaper relics there isnt enough money in them to be faked standard m35/40s,but i know the ss or Fallschirmjager helmets are faked.I KNOW ONE GUY WHO KICKED A GERMAN HELMET UP AND DOWN HIS DRIVE WAY TO GET IT MORE PITTED AND DAMAGED,I WONDER WHY?LV. PS I agree if eeven standard relics become scarce as the years go on the repro shells will be faked galore to look like battlefield finds,LV